A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Advice on buying a `01 2.7T please (first time Audi Owner...maybe!?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying a `01 2.7T please (first time Audi Owner...maybe!?)

Hello, I am looking at a 2001 Audi A6 with the 2.7T. It has 107k and has had a transmission swap. Supposedly the new used transmission has 70k on it. The car is in good shape except for a couple things the main one being a problem with the traction control system. Upon hard acceleration the traction control light comes on and limits the acceleration of the vehicle, With the ESP OFF this is not an issue however in the winter what will be the point of having an all wheel vehicle if the traction control isint working properly right? Anyway other than that the brakes need a little TLC and the AC was not working but now had been charged. He is asking 5500, the bluebook in FAIR condition is almost 2,000 MORE, I am basically getting the car for trade in value. I am hoping he can fix this issue with the traction control but I am unsure. The title is clear the paint and tires are good pretty sure its not been wrecked just the tranny, it has lots of options too. Any advice is greatly appreciated Thanks and glad to be a part of the forum and hopefully an Audi owner soon!
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tim Schmidt
Hello, I am looking at a 2001 Audi A6 with the 2.7T. It has 107k and has had a transmission swap. Supposedly the new used transmission has 70k on it. The car is in good shape except for a couple things the main one being a problem with the traction control system. Upon hard acceleration the traction control light comes on and limits the acceleration of the vehicle, With the ESP OFF this is not an issue however in the winter what will be the point of having an all wheel vehicle if the traction control isint working properly right? Anyway other than that the brakes need a little TLC and the AC was not working but now had been charged. He is asking 5500, the bluebook in FAIR condition is almost 2,000 MORE, I am basically getting the car for trade in value. I am hoping he can fix this issue with the traction control but I am unsure. The title is clear the paint and tires are good pretty sure its not been wrecked just the tranny, it has lots of options too. Any advice is greatly appreciated Thanks and glad to be a part of the forum and hopefully an Audi owner soon!
Traction control system is likely a sensor, but no way of knowing unless you scan the car for codes using VAG-COM. My best advice is to pay for inspection at the Audi dealer.

Transmissions do go on these cars, but usually it's the torque converter. No knowing how long the new used tranny will last.

As for the AC, beware. My 2001 A6 never had to be recharged and blew cold air until she was totaled last month. There is a leak, the question is where, and what it will cost to replace. You could easily be looking at over $1500.

Finally, that price is so so. Not great. With all these issues, i wouldn't go past 4 - 4.5K max.

Better yet, find an Audi with no issues, newer, for under 7

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 05-20-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, 2k under bluebook means hes trying to dump... if it was in fair condition he would want more
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have the time and facilities, you will potentially spend 2K$ fixing the A/C and the traction control issue.

This hard acceleration you speak of...how are the tires? Is a tire slipping under heavy throttle? That *will* alert the traction nannies.

Way I see it, diagnostic file is his to provide, as the seller. Might be someone in the area with a VAG-COM connector willing to help you out.

Personally, I would pass, unless you can do the repairs yourself or have a palatable estimate under 2K.

-Sean
Old 05-21-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

it is pretty easy to find a a6 2.7 for under 5k, around me I have never seen one bring anything even close to Kbb. I love the car but their are so many expensive issues, turbo's will cost you $4000, a tranny issue will be $1500-3k etc....... so i would look hard and make sure it is a car you love and trust. these cars can go forever if well taken care of, but they can also bankrupt you. my old 2.7t has 190k on it with a stage 1Plus Sw tune but turbo's were replaced at 165k, I would drive it anywhere.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your input everyone, I am in NorthEastern Ohio too, East side of Cleveland. I think I might just offer 4k for the condition that it is in, or have him fix the traction control issues and offer some kind of few month warranty on the A/C at least thru the summer. Like I said he HAS replaced the tranny, supposedly with one that has 70k on it but who knows..... not sure if I should get this badboy or not. I'd be content with anything with a 2.0t manual in it as well, wish this one was manual
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if you wish this was a manual, then pass.... you will only regret it.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yeah but its either this or some other $4k car thats gonna end up being a POS, I've been out of a car for awhile now and its costing me 7-800 a month to rent cars I need something quick, you say I will regret it being an automatic but an auto 2.7 litre turbocharged all wheel drive audi is still better than a dodge neon :P he is willing to come down a little on price he says, this issue scares me, again, I might just offer 4k then he will counter with 5k prolly
Old 05-21-2013, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

im telling you, this car has the potential to not only be a POS but an expensive one at that....

look for an A4, lower cost, lower insurance, lower matainence. just as fun to drive
Old 05-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what about this???

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3771068777.html

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a `01 2.7T please (first time Audi Owner...maybe!?)