A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

After Cooling System Overhaul Temp Gauge Reads Slightly Higher Than Center

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Cooling System Overhaul Temp Gauge Reads Slightly Higher Than Center

So today my indie mechanic performed a complete cooling system overhaul on my car since my water pump was leaking.

Items replaced include: Water Pump, T-stat, timing belt, rollers, tensioner, lever, radiator, lower radiator hose, and drive belt.

Since performing this job, however, I've noticed that the temp gauge reads slightly more to the right of center. In stop and go traffic it moves slightly further to the right.

The car runs fine, there are no leaks and idles fine.

Is it running warmer because of possible air pockets in the system?
Is it because of the new radiator? I didn't purchase the radiator like I did the rest of the parts but I believe the name brand of the radiator is Cryomax.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i'm running hotter due to your sig picture.

Now, back to your car. My understanding, and observation, is that the C5 water temp gauge is damped so that it remains dead-center unless its really off substantially. This avoids all the yokels worry-ing. So, i surmise that either:

1. yours is not longer damped, or
2. it is running outside that zone. Which means its quite a bit off

I would expect bubbles to cause the temperature to fluctuate, not run consistently high.

Have you actually measured the temperatures at the in and out of the radiator with a heat gun? What is the temp of the t-stat? Where is the water in your expansion tank?

I dont have enough experience to guess or reassure you

G
Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
i'm running hotter due to your sig picture.

Now, back to your car. My understanding, and observation, is that the C5 water temp gauge is damped so that it remains dead-center unless its really off substantially. This avoids all the yokels worry-ing. So, i surmise that either:

1. yours is not longer damped, or
2. it is running outside that zone. Which means its quite a bit off

I would expect bubbles to cause the temperature to fluctuate, not run consistently high.

Have you actually measured the temperatures at the in and out of the radiator with a heat gun? What is the temp of the t-stat? Where is the water in your expansion tank?

I dont have enough experience to guess or reassure you

G
IF it's not damped, what would I have to do to make it damped?

I just topped off the coolant in the expansion tank so right now I have a slightly higher level than the max line. Before it was in between min and max.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the dampening is like only 15-20 degrees, you can run 25 degrees warmer and your not in trouble
Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

the level was correct before you added.

Your next step should be to take measurements, and do nothing until you have facts.

G
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's not running consistently high. Right after the job it was running slightly passed the center of the temp gauge but before the next hash mark on the gauge.

Last night I added more coolant. The level was above max. This morning the level had dropped to above min but below max. I have no leaks. So this morning on the highway the temp gauge was dead center until I got off highway and was in stop and go traffic....then the needle started to creep up a bit.

I think perhaps I need to bleed the system.

Last edited by 98Quattro; 12-02-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, you proved you had an air pocket. Now you can proceed.

Sounds like a happy ending.

G