A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

It is ALWAYS one bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default It is ALWAYS one bolt

So, I'm in the middle of trying to pull my steering rack out of my car and have some issues. The Bentley says I need to drop the subframe and exhause, but on Sunday I pulled the panels in the wheel wells, the steering column bolt, the two bolts on the top and the lines in about 15 minutes. I now have one bolt that you have to get to from the bottom that I am trying to pull and it seems like a waste to drop the subframe and exhaust just for this one bolt.

I've been looking for angles, I've bent the heat shield out of the way a little, and I can reach in, if I really stretch and twist, and I think I feel the bolt with my fingers. Trying to get a socket in there isn't working out though. Looking from below, I can see why the exhaust and heat shield and subframe all have to be moved.

Has anyone on here found a way to access this third bolt without dropping the subframe? This is ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always that specific bolt, lol.

I don't think any of us DIY'ers have actually done it by the book (dropping the subframe, exhaust etc).

I used a bunch of extensions with a taped up universal joint and socket(could just use a universal 10mm 12pt socket) and guided it up from the bottom (downpipe area).
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here are a few tips from other members that had to go MacGyver on that bolt:

This being my first rack replacement on ANY vehicle, everyone was saying I was nuts. One of my friends (not a mechanic either) insisted that we should be able to do it ourselves and save $1000+. After 3-4 hours of screwing around trying to find or even see that 3rd bolt, we went to the library and 3 auto parts stores looking for a repair manual to verify the picture that OGBULLYLOCDAWG posted above. One manual for a Passat had a similar picture. We still couldn't get the socket on the bolt head or even see it for that matter.

Yesterday, after 4 days of thinking about it, I tried something different. I removed the battery tray. Pushed out the rubber plug just below the brake assist. Put a flashlight next to that hole. I got my 12 year old son to hold the socket extensions up in the aforementioned hole from under the car. Then I took and taped a pen flashlight ($3) about 8" from the end of a 4' heavy gauge galvanized wire ($10 for 30ft) and used pliers to put a 1-2" hook on the end. Then from the passenger's wheel well, I inserted the wire along the top of the rack to the bolt head. My son slowly raised the socket while I guided it onto the bolt. It then came right off.

I hope this helps someone in the future from the frustration and wasting of time that I went through.
(the following was done on a B6)
I re-installed AND tightened the 3rd bolt!! It was easy..only took 5 minutes...so you can do it too haha

Here's what I did:

From under the car, I saw the steering rack but not the 3rd bolt. I have a good idea of where it is, so I stick the socket into the general location, and while holding it in place (1-2feet of extensions and 1 u-joint with electrical tape to keep it all from flopping around too much), I slowly move to the wheel well and with my free left hand, I guide the socket onto the 3rd bolt using a home-made tool. The tool is a long skinny flathead screwdriver with an old windshield wiper blade metal insert taped to it to add length, and bent 90deg. at the end to use as a hook (to guide the socket)
Inspired any ideas?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 74 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
So, I'm in the middle of trying to pull my steering rack out of my car and have some issues. The Bentley says I need to drop the subframe and exhause, but on Sunday I pulled the panels in the wheel wells, the steering column bolt, the two bolts on the top and the lines in about 15 minutes. I now have one bolt that you have to get to from the bottom that I am trying to pull and it seems like a waste to drop the subframe and exhaust just for this one bolt.

I've been looking for angles, I've bent the heat shield out of the way a little, and I can reach in, if I really stretch and twist, and I think I feel the bolt with my fingers. Trying to get a socket in there isn't working out though. Looking from below, I can see why the exhaust and heat shield and subframe all have to be moved.

Has anyone on here found a way to access this third bolt without dropping the subframe? This is ridiculous.
This always frustrates me too ... I had to take the entire rear suspension apart to repalce a rea strut assembly because everything was stopping the next bolt from coming out ... its allmost like its designed that way so bolts cant fall out if they loosened off...

I decide to give up early now and just start taking it apart .... all the time is used up trying to think about it and you could have been done by now ...

First side 1.5 hours.. second side 15 minutes ...
Old 04-09-2014, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys! Those give me some ideas. I mean, I can reach in, if I allow my hand to get contorted and crushed, and feel the bolt. It seems like it should be possible to put a ratchet in there and get it out...but no go. I have tried looking from the bottom, but it's like there are 2 heat shields blocking the view, and they overlap in such a way as to prevent access.

Thanks again for the input...I will keep working at it. I feel like once I see it happen I will be able to do it again in a few minutes - but how many times do you replace a rack? haha.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jseklund
Thanks guys! Those give me some ideas. I mean, I can reach in, if I allow my hand to get contorted and crushed, and feel the bolt. It seems like it should be possible to put a ratchet in there and get it out...but no go. I have tried looking from the bottom, but it's like there are 2 heat shields blocking the view, and they overlap in such a way as to prevent access.

Thanks again for the input...I will keep working at it. I feel like once I see it happen I will be able to do it again in a few minutes - but how many times do you replace a rack? haha.
If yours has the same shield/piece of sheet metal underneath the steering rack blocking view of the bolt, you may have to bend that up like I did:

You can see where I bent it back here:

If you remove the heat-shield over the drivers side axle, that also gives you a good angle to see up there.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

OG - Thanks for those pics. I saw the one that mentioned X-Ray vision in another thread when I was searching, and it is VERY handy. It is the only photo that really showed me where I need to look.

I wound up doing brakes on my gf's car last night...will hopefully get back to this one bolt tonight!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Success! I got a helper to go under the car and feed up the socket up on a swivel and a few extensions while I reached in and guided the socket to the bolt. It came out! I now have the rack lose and I have to get the servotronic connection off. In the Bentley it says there are 4 bolts - 2 torx and 2 hex. It says to only remove the 2 hex bolts. The module on my rack only has 2 torx bolts and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to unscrew those. It kind of looks like the electrical connector could be pulled off the unit, but I'm not sure I should do that either?

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nevermind, I just looked at the replacement part now that I have the actual part number, and I should have followed the wire back. It disconnects on the car side...should have known.

Thanks again guys!