A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Amsoil oil filter number for 2000 A6 4.2Q V8...anyone have any experience with these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil oil filter number for 2000 A6 4.2Q V8...anyone have any experience with these?

I'm about to order a couple of them and want to make sure I get the right one!

It's the big one about a foot long....installing them is a pain so the dealer has been doing it at the sanctioned oil change intervals...I've been using 15W-40 marine synthetic with zero problems.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't use Amsoil on my engine or Amway on my leather. Mann or Mahle make filters for your car.

Just my 2 cents. Since I'm picking on you (I'm not really)..why are you using a "marine oil"??? That smells like diesel oil to me and that usally means added zinc which is bad for catalytic convertors. Isn't it?

A Mahle? oil filter for your car costs $32? at www.autohausaz.com

Of course things change, light duty diesel trucks have catalytic convertors now and I could be all wet.

I don't think you are doing your engine any favor using a marine grade oil. That's all about salt, sitting for long times, humid environments, rust and whatever additives are put in the oil to deal with those conditions. Your engine would probably be happier with a lower starting viscosity, like a 10W instead of a 15 weight.

For my two light use diesels I change the pickup truck oil every 6 months and the tractor every year. I use Chevron Delo 400. Shell Rotofella is well liked too. The fishing boats always got Delo 400 also for either the two or four cycle diesels. I'd <b>NEVER</b> put these oils in a car. I don't know why, I just wouldn't.

That's all just my opinion too and I'll claim mental dementia and moral turpitude if any facts are incorrect in this post.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Amsoil oil filter number for 2000 A6 4.2Q V8...anyone have any experience with these?

I did not know AMSOIL made an oil filter for the A6 4.2, so I went to their web site and they still do not list any oil filter for the A6 4.2 regardless of the year. They do list one for the A8 Quattro (p/n LF479), but I do not know if it will work. They do have oil filters for the 2.8 and 2.7T (same filter). I do know the A6 4.2 oil filters are big filters. I do use AMSOIL filters in my Silverado and the only problem I have ever had with them is they may not seal completely. I never find any oil on the garage floor, but I will find some on the outside of the seal of the filter. The owners manual for the 2000 4.2 said the vehicle came filled with 5W-40 and if that was not available 5W-30 either dino or synthetic. The 2002 comes with 0W-30 and I don't know of any brand that makes that in dino and only two (AMSOIL and Mobile One) that make it in synthetic. I don't want to start anything here about oil as it has been hashed to death and no one's mind is ever changed about what they consider to be the best. It is your vehicle and your money. I have never personally known of an engine that failed due to oil. I'm sure there are some out there that have, but I am speaking of the 38 vehicles I owned over the years.
Old 12-28-2001, 01:57 PM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd recommend the OEM filter - have you tried ClairParts.com
Old 12-29-2001, 07:11 AM

Default Re: I don't use Amsoil on my engine or Amway on my leather. Mann or Mahle make filters for your car.

Well, the marine oil is rated SJ/SH and in my experience works well...although it could well be that the viscosity could be lower for better gas mileage. The synthetic seems to be working well for the last 32K miles and the engine has loosened up well after 20K. Mileage has increased to around 26 on the highway at fairly absurd speeds and the oil is about the same color as when I put it in, 8000 miles later.

Reason I use the marine oil is exactly because of its additive package for infrequently used engines, and the price break doesn't hurt either. As long as the marine grade meets Audi's API grade specifications I'll probably keep using it. With 8.5 quarts per oil change there's all kinds of safety margin for oil on this engine!

Thanks for the info on the oil filters...that matches my info and I'll probably stick with the OEM filter until Amsoil makes a synthetic element filter or I figure out how to plumb in a bypass oil filter. Or until Audi decides to ship a twin turbo V8 to North America (I should only hold my breath!).
Old 12-29-2001, 11:06 AM
Elder Member

Default live and learn...

I have no connection with Mobil 1 or Amsoil or RedLine. I used to be skeptical but Amsoil is quality synthetic oil, and even my Porsche tech/friend's Mobil 1 sales rep admitted that for extended drain intervals, Amsoil's base stock, which is diff. than Mobil, is better. He's used it in his race car and did only 2 oil changes in 3 yrs. (unheard of for a track car) because oil analysis showed minimal degradation or contamination of the Amsoil (less acidity) than with other brands.

I use Mobil 1 or RedLine in cars that get oil changed at least every 6 mo., but on my old 911 it's changed annually or less due to low mileage. Oil analysis of Amsoil shows that it's good under those conditions for 12-16 months.

So choose not to use it, but for the right reasons.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I believe that you a referring to a by-pass oil-filter and not the ...

regular one. The regular filters were at least earlier HASTINGS filters, industrial filters way better that OEM in filtering capacity and "dirt size" (&lt; 8 micron). The by-pass filters are very large and filters to &lt; 1 micron, = you "never" need to replace the regular filter, as it doesn't have anything to filter. But do it anyhow as they are cheap cardboard types and they do disintegrate over time.

And yes I have drive by-pass filters in most of my cars in the past with &gt; 18000 miles between oil changes.