A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anti-Rattle Spring on HP-2 Caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, no doubt something is loose. Since the pads have really no way to move around in the caliper (design prevents it), it must be either the caliper moving or some suspension.

Now, I have a suspicion that one of the brackets is loose. Can you check if you have bolts holding caliper bracket still in place? There should be two 17mm or so hex bolts holding bracket in place, #11 on the picture:

If you were missing one bolt, I can see where the caliper could move just a bit "up and down" to cause clunks as you would be hitting outer edge of rotors when caliper shifts. It would also be a bitch to figure out unless you tug is pretty well in correct direction.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately, I will not be able to take off the wheel and get a good look any time soon. The best I can do really is to take some photographs and try to see if anything is amiss, assuming I've taken photographs of the correct spot. At least I can orient myself and figure out where #11 in the schematic is. I'm not sure if I captured the right area or if I captured #11, or the absence of. Is #11 not visible in this picture? Is it hidden from view above the CV boot?

I took a brief look at the pads and now I agree that they are seated firmly with that notch and arn't the cause of the noise.
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Stick your fingers in there. The only bolt you can see on the pic is #13 on schematic. One of the bracket bolts is just under/behind it. The other one is on the opposite (bottom of picture) side of bracket. If you can feel two large bolts in place, it is probably not it. If you can sense one bolt and one hole, you care missing bolt. Check both sides.

I would also advise taking off both wheels and trying to shift calipers in all possible directions to see if any play can be detected.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Again with the pictures: I still won't be able to check the bolts by hand soon, but for the time being, I think I can confirm that both bolts are still there and appear to be okay, though I'll check when I have time. It only seems to be the driver's side that makes the noise, so this photograph is of the driver's side.

One thing that I should also add is that at low speeds, if I have the brakes depressed and slowing down, sometimes I hear the clunk if I go over a bump. This only happens when I've used the brakes recently. It seems as if the caliper or something seems to "stick" and then a bump or turn or perhaps motion seems to knock it back to being fully released. If this is the case, would lubrication of the guide pins or replacement of their rubber bushings help?

I heard that replacing these guide pin bushings involves a great deal of work where one might as well replace the caliper entirely.

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=2769

These are the bushings that I am referring to.
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds to me more like the rear lower control arms. It's hard to tell if they are bad by moving them by hand, but this has been my experience. I recently replaced the front rotors and pads, put it all back together very carefully only to have the same type of clunking noise you have described here. My control arms began to make other noises this summer (moaning noise when going slow and turning the steering wheel), so I ordered a complete replacement from Blau and did the job myself. All noise is gone, no more clunking. If you are not sure about the control arms, have your mechaninc verify.