A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

any S6 avant owners here? I am in the market and have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any S6 avant owners here? I am in the market and have some ?'s

how is overall reliability? Anything I should watch out for?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there's a few on here,

but more or less, the reliability is the same as a 4.2, watch for tranny problems is about the only thing I can think of.
there's been quite a few on ebay that've been wrecked, so watch for savage titles and such, some have had frame damage.

the S6 is pretty rare, so I wish you luck in finding one. (and if you don't like it after you get it, sell it to me, I want one bad, just am short on the green stuff)
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Reliability is generally excellent...

The engine and transmission are pretty much bullet proof. You get the occasional switch or sensor failure here and there (my only failure in 45kmi is hazard relay which is a common failure on all A6/S6/allroad cars).

All in all, the car is a work of art and (even to this day) might be the most complete car ever built.

Highly recommended.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default They're not too hard to find. You just need to know where to look...

And the place to find them is California Motorcars (AKA: CA Audi) in Irvine, CA. There you will find a man named Audi Bob. He is an Audi nut, and by that, I mean that he deals mainly with S6s and Allroads, with a minor in A8s and S8s. The last time I talked to him, he had 6 S6s. If you are serious about buying one, e-mail Bob at audiquattro@verizon.net. or call him at 1(800)444-AUDI. He will send you a list of his current inventory. From there, you pick one with the color, year, mileage and price you are looking for. He he will send you pictures and then you schedule a test drive. Click the link for more info on him and Califonria Audi. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112085 There are a few pics of my car in there, too. I have more info, but it's time to go to bed. Give Bob a call and see what he's got.
Good luck.
Tony
(if you have any questions, email me at tonytubbs@yahoo.com)
Old 04-29-2007, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thats were I got mine. She's been pretty reliable so far but I have had a few issues

So far the following has been worked on. I bought at 45K and it now has 63k on it.

Under warranty;
Rear seal in the center diff leaking
Air mass sensor failed with 300 miles of warranty left
Trunk release switch on drivers door surround

Out of warranty;
Both front outer C/V boots within 1k of warranty ending. $10 each. (I did them myself and have a wholesale world pac account)

Engine thermostat failed causing an overheat. This required the timing belt service. Dealer wanted $2200 I did it for less than $400.

The clockspring failed. Pain in the *** to reprogram after installing the new one. I think around $350.

I have a check engine light on, caused by the secondary air injection, have not located the source yet.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You might want to do a search on various terms, but

1. Seems typical of Audi reliability - for better or worse
2. All the 4.2 motor cars could overload the Auto tranny's torque converter. Be somewhat careful of it, make sure it shifts smoothly, and do a tranny service (with OEM fluid) every 30-40k.

I've had very few problems. I bought a very clean, very low-mileage used 2002 (<30k miles) and have put another 20k on it.

The usual troubles. Heated seat, one CV boot, warpoed rotors on HP2S (what a surprise).

Love the car, though.

Grant
Old 04-30-2007, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would nto call the 5HP24A bulletproof behind the 4.2

They are failing with uncomfortable regularity, both on A6 4.2s and on D2 A8s.

If you check the specs, the 4.2 is at the ZF's torque limit - no margin of error.

regular service - whcih Audi says nto to do - seems to solve most of the issues.

Grant
Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mine has been very reliable, the only issue I have had

is a vacuum hose leak that causes the check engine light to come on sometimes and then it will go off in a day or two. I've had the OBD, vag-gom check it three different times and every time it comes up as the vacuum leak, lean air/fuel mix. I have yet to find the culprit little hose, it was not where the mechanics thought it might be so they said just watch and listen for an air leak and then replace the hose.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

true, any chance you have your original Avus rims to sell?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Typical of other's comments here. If you can wrench like Pete K, you'll be fine. Otherwise, insure.

Quick Reply: any S6 avant owners here? I am in the market and have some ?'s