A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Any write up for how to set the tining on a 3.0 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any write up for how to set the tining on a 3.0 engine?

Does any one know how to set the timing on the 3.0 engine? for example if I take the head off to fix a valve and have to take off the cam etc... is there a write up some place that tells you how to get the engine back into to time when I put the timing belt back on etc.. does the bentley repair manual tell you how?? any references
Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a very good write up on the tech section:
https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng110.shtml

That would give you a good idea on setting the cam timing etc... you need the special tool to lock the cam shafts and also a special socket to adjust the cam sprocket and tighten to 10nm. The crank lock pin is optional but a good idea to lock in case it moved back due to compression.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thnaks I'll look at the timing belt service. what I really need is if I take the head off to replace a valve. How do you line the cams etc... back up to get the timing correct? full valve replacement.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

The write-up he linked addresses that.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by old96A4
Thnaks I'll look at the timing belt service. what I really need is if I take the head off to replace a valve. How do you line the cams etc... back up to get the timing correct? full valve replacement.
Check out this post for cam timing info and the cam socket description: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839759

For a head-pull with a valve R&R use this pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AVK C5 cmshft service.pdf (510.7 KB, 414 views)

Last edited by jcman; 02-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

How hard is this to do in the car on one side?? I assume I can buy the tools some place? What bentley was that write up from ?? I'll have to get one of those too. So the CAM locks pretty much set the timing once you get them in there.. Can I take the head off in one peice withteh Cams in or do I have to dismantle in the car? Sorry I just looked at it real fast... I bet the car I'm looking at they didn't the timing belt service wrong.... didn't quite get the timing set or it's got a loud injector clacking ...... Thanks for the info...
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well its 13.5 book time hours to change one cylinder head. lol sounds fun. looks pretty straight forward. Remove exhaust, remove valve cover, remove intake, remove air injection and water manifold and stuff from head, remove timing belt stuff, remove bolts for head, remove.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How hard is this to do in the car on one side?? I assume I can buy the tools some place? What bentley was that write up from ?? I'll have to get one of those too. So the CAM locks pretty much set the timing once you get them in there.. Can I take the head off in one peice withteh Cams in or do I have to dismantle in the car? Sorry I just looked at it real fast... I bet the car I'm looking at they didn't the timing belt service wrong.... didn't quite get the timing set or it's got a loud injector clacking ...... Thanks for the info...
How hard is this to do in the car on one side??
You will have to start with the service postion and tb procedure first.

I can buy the tools some place?
Search the forums, google the parts or check with one of the AW vendors.

What bentley was that write up from?
Ebahn software.

Can I take the head off in one peice with the Cams in or do I have to dismantle in the car?
I would start with the cams first with the head on then remove the head for the valve replacement.

NOTE: This job is very very procedural, take your time and pay attention to every detail and don't skip steps!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

How hard is this to do in the car on one side??
If you do this, reset the cam timing on both sides.

Before you do anything, remove the valve cover and see if this car has worm out camshafts on the noisy side.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

How can you tell if cam is worn out score marks?? This is a 2004 car I though the cams were a problem early on than later?? I was hoping it might be a loud fuel injector. No sure how much the owner knows about the car.
not sure if I want to get in to it.. I'm getting old , might forget how it goes back together... thanks for the info...

Quick Reply: Any write up for how to set the tining on a 3.0 engine?