A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Any of you have this intermittent problem starting your car? (See detail)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2001, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you have this intermittent problem starting your car? (See detail)

(I have an '01 2.7T w/the Immobilizer III; took delivery a little over a month ago...)

Sometimes when I insert the key and try to start the car, nothing happens. The key turns, the dash lights up, but when you turn the ignition to the position to start the car, there is simply no response. I've learned that if I remove and re-insert the key, the car starts. Sometimes I had to remove/re-insert the key up to three-four times before it finally started.

Is this due to cold weather? Is it worth reporting to the dealer? Can this be fixed?
Old 01-23-2001, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There's an interlock to prevent damage to the starter motor...

...caused by turning to the "start" position while the engine is already running. The way it normally works is once you turn the key to the "start" position and release it, whether or not the car starts you must turn the key all the way to the "off" position before you can again turn it to "start". This of course ensures that one can't attempt to start an engine that is already running. It sounds like your problem may be related to this interlock system; it may simply be that the inside of your ignition lock needs to be lubricated. Please let us know what you find out.
Old 01-23-2001, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 6spd or tip?

There's a clutch interlock switch on the 6spd which can cause this problem too. As Mike mentioned, you will have to back down to OFF before you can re-attempt START, so make sure that's not what's driving you to remove the key.

Does key orientation matter? I.e. do you flip the key over before re-inserting it? Do repeated start attempts without removing the key not get you a start, but removing an re-inserting the key do? What happens with the immobilizer dash light when you attempt start vs when you get a start?

I've had bad clutch interlock switches before, and all the key gyrations really had nothing to do with successful vs unsuccessful starts...it really came down to my shifting position and mashing the clutch different/harder/again at the same time. Took an embarassingly long time to figure out that the interlock switch was the culprit
Old 01-23-2001, 07:23 AM

6 spd