A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone with a 3.0 solve a mulitple random misfire issue lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mean my timing has jumped or why is there so big difference?

Old 05-12-2022, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Citizen

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Your block 93 shows phase position for bank 1 is 14 and phase position for bank 2 is 20. From previous threads I think 8 is the service limit spec, you are 6.

Phase intake is within range spec for both.

Off hand I'd don't see an issue with that data.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KMTSME
Your block 93 shows phase position for bank 1 is 14 and phase position for bank 2 is 20. From previous threads I think 8 is the service limit spec, you are 6.

Phase intake is within range spec for both.

Off hand I'd don't see an issue with that data.
Thank god then.
So when the phase between bank 1 and bank 2 is over 8, then its time for timing job?

Someone said that my issue could be catalytic converter.
Can I somehow test it before I remove it?
Or do I just cut it off with grinder and with it removed I start the car ad should be no misfire problems?
Sure it will give out lambda errors without cat but will it still misfire?
Old 05-12-2022, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Citizen

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

So when the phase between bank 1 and bank 2 is over 8, then its time for timing job?
A 'timing job' can include a lot of things. I would say it is time to plan on at least chain and tensioners. belt and tensioner.

Someone said that my issue could be catalytic converter.
Can I somehow test it before I remove it?
As I said above "check them (inlet/body/outlet) with a temp gun to see what temps they are running at, and if one is hotter or colder than the other." If one is much hotter, it might be plugged.

Quoting from another site:

--=-

Temperature test

Measuring the temperature of the catalytic converter in your A6 can also help you with determining possible inner restrictions causing excessive back pressure. An infrared thermometer can be used for this test.
  1. Start the engine of your Audi A6 and wait until it is at the right operational temperature level.
  2. Lift the vehicle, allowing easy access to the catalytic converter.
  3. Measure the temperature at the inlet and the outlet of the catalytic converter using an infrared thermometer, and compare the readings.
  4. If the temperature difference is higher than 10 degrees Celsius or 50 degrees Fahrenheit, then most likely the catalytic converter is clogged.

Last edited by KMTSME; 05-13-2022 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Corrected chain vs. belt as OP noted
Old 05-12-2022, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KMTSME
A 'timing job' can include a lot of things. I would say it is time to plan on at least chain and tensioners.

As I said above "check them (inlet/body/outlet) with a temp gun to see what temps they are running at, and if one is hotter or colder than the other." If one is much hotter, it might be plugged.

Quoting from another site:

--=-

Temperature test

Measuring the temperature of the catalytic converter in your A6 can also help you with determining possible inner restrictions causing excessive back pressure. An infrared thermometer can be used for this test.
  1. Start the engine of your Audi A6 and wait until it is at the right operational temperature level.
  2. Lift the vehicle, allowing easy access to the catalytic converter.
  3. Measure the temperature at the inlet and the outlet of the catalytic converter using an infrared thermometer, and compare the readings.
  4. If the temperature difference is higher than 10 degrees Celsius or 50 degrees Fahrenheit, then most likely the catalytic converter is clogged.

​​​​​​​this ASN engine has no chain. only timing belt

I will measire the cat temp today.