A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone Do a Unitronic tune on a C5 A6 4.2?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Do a Unitronic tune on a C5 A6 4.2?

I have an 02 S6 and wondering if anyone has done this tune to see if it was effective before I possibly waste my money. Thanks

Tom
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default I found tunes in general on the 4.2 did little

Had the GIAC one until the chip carrier unsoldered itself from the board. Went back to stock and found little difference.

If you want to play (but be CAREFUL and know what you are doing), search archives for old posts on Lemiwinks--freeware that got onto the web from one of the tuners. I have played w/ it some on the 4.2 in the past. Needs a true serial cable though (not a USB one) to get it to work (at least it used to), which is a pretty odd find w/ today's laptops.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the Unitronic tune on my 3.0L and love it.
It has holiday discount $50 off ... I think they have 30 days trial, if you don't like it they will re-map yours to the original & refund.
The tuner said so far not one comes back for refund.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bigdadi
I had the Unitronic tune on my 3.0L and love it.
It has holiday discount $50 off ... I think they have 30 days trial, if you don't like it they will re-map yours to the original & refund.
The tuner said so far not one comes back for refund.
So you noticed a boost in performance?

Tom
Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Smoother and stronger performance ...
it is not just HP it is the whole performance counts. My tranny occasional jerks are gone. Audi dealer won't reflash my ECU.

http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/
Old 12-06-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just remember that chips made a name for themselves on turbo cars. On turbos, if you run higher octane fuel and keep it in good tune, its easy to get large increases via advance and waste gate settings. Big, 25%

No such opportunities exists on a modern naturally aspirated motor. At best you will be able to trade some likeability and durability off for a small amount of power. At best "meh" - at worst "bad trade".

G
Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

And yes...the quality of the soldering on the ECU as a result of the chip is critical in the longer term. My 02S6 had a chip in it when I bought it and it was nothing but trouble....the Audi platinum warranty ended up replacing the ECU (took a week to get one from der Fatherland) at $1600 or so MSRP....covered by 30 day warranty by Audi dealer.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
And yes...the quality of the soldering on the ECU as a result of the chip is critical in the longer term. My 02S6 had a chip in it when I bought it and it was nothing but trouble....the Audi platinum warranty ended up replacing the ECU (took a week to get one from der Fatherland) at $1600 or so MSRP....covered by 30 day warranty by Audi dealer.
Maybe I am missing something, but this is just an OBD II flash is my understanding.

Tom
Old 12-07-2011, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

I think the clown who owned my car before me pulled the ECU and shipped it to a tuner for reflash and then soldered it back in place...and badly. I had many issues with it but luckily Audi/dealer covered it under warranty because it was on the car when it was sold to me.

I've found that APR, for one, can install software but I've just not found it cost effective to gain only 12hp on my 340hp S6 for $550!!!! I'm not sure the butt-dyno or iPhone software would even notice it. Perhaps with 100octane fuel and less restrictive cat-back or RS6 exhaust, but about the only thing that wakes up a 4.2 is a supercharger.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I think the clown who owned my car before me pulled the ECU and shipped it to a tuner for reflash and then soldered it back in place...and badly. I had many issues with it but luckily Audi/dealer covered it under warranty because it was on the car when it was sold to me.

I've found that APR, for one, can install software but I've just not found it cost effective to gain only 12hp on my 340hp S6 for $550!!!! I'm not sure the butt-dyno or iPhone software would even notice it. Perhaps with 100octane fuel and less restrictive cat-back or RS6 exhaust, but about the only thing that wakes up a 4.2 is a supercharger.
Unitronic "claims" a 22hp gain and 20lbs tq no dyno charts. Also, the map shows it being for 92 octane, which here in California is no where to be found except the racetrack. So I don't know how much it could really bump the car for 91 if they 1.) had a 91 octane map or 2.) the 92 map gets installed and the car just retards the timiing and makes this null or worse.

Maybe the car gets mapped to A8/S8 performance.

http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/mai...42l_340hp.html

I mean our cars are already pretty damn fast and thirsty. Ahh the never ending quest for more power.

Tom

Quick Reply: Anyone Do a Unitronic tune on a C5 A6 4.2?