A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone has experience with Koni shocks with Eibach springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone has experience with Koni shocks with Eibach springs?

I already have the Eibach pro-kit springs installed, now torn between using Eibach pro dampers or Koni dampers. I was told Eibach themselves do not make dampers, they are made by Sachs who does a lot of OEM shocks. Appreciate any comments on Koni shocks.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I have had the eibach shoocks and they were great, but I would go with bilstien instead

I have never been a fan of koni products in any application. they are not gas charged, and the tend to wear out quickly
Old 07-05-2003, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default IMHO I hated my adj. Koni's with a passion...

I spent more time trying to adjust them than I did driving with them...even with the adjustability I could never get my Koni's to my liking. Either too harsh or too soft but no happy medium. Maybe it's different with non-adj. but I really really disliked my Koni's.

I'm currently running full Eibach Springs and Dampers and truly enjoy the comfort and added handling. Though Bilsteins might be a better choice of shocks if you prefer "spirited" driving or speeds in the triples...

Not to say Koni's are bad, just not my cup o tea.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-05-2003, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am pleased with Koni shocks and H&R springs, but you should talk to a shop with experience

Wheels and tires will play a role as well when combined with the suspension.

Its a real good idea to use a shop that has performed suspension/tire upgrades on cars like yours. Tell them what you are looking for in terms of ride and ask them what they know works. Without their input, you could unknowingly make the ultimately correct spring and shock choice, but it may not work with the wheels and tires you have to produce the ride you are looking for.

If you are doing things in stages or all at once, talking to an experienced tuner will help you more than reading through everyone's opinion posts because we are not all looking for the same thing in terms of ride, handling and economy. What I like, someone else might hate.

It is somewhat like the difference between reading the individual e-pinions of everyone who is using some single item, as opposed to drawing on the cumulative knowledge of an expert that has experience with numerous items of the same type. Getting the tuner's help will save you from having to re-do the project if you don't like the way it turns out. Comparatively, the suspension parts aren't that expensive, but the labor to change things around is!
Old 07-05-2003, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Pretty happy with my Koni shocks and H&R Springs Combo

I agree with letitsnow, talk to an experienced tuner about the best combo for your needs
Old 07-05-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Have you considered Bilstein?

They've got an excellent reputation and superior technology.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:40 PM

Default Eibach is typically more forgiving than H&R, Bilstein is the only shock I'd spend money on.

That's my .02 based on past 'investments'...

Koni seems to my mind to be more of a marketing gimmick against the superior technology of Bilstein. Again, can't tell you how great the Bilsteins I've had have been (though maybe a little on the soft side in some aplications, but I like things pretty firm) and for daily driving I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Primarily the spring is what will determine absolute 'harshness', shock just controls the motion.

The progressive rate Eibachs I've had in the past have been a great daily driver compromise as they are softer at the initiation of compression so minor road imperfections are comfortably absorbed, while larger movements are controlled more firmly.

In the past I've seen H&R's that were NOT progressive rate, and they were a bit too low and harsh for my taste. It all jst depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Best thing to do is drive a few cars if you can and find one you really like.

A friend had an urS4 that he had sent the front Bilsteins back to the factory to be custom valved at a rate 20% firmer than stock, with ABT springs from Hoppen. THAT was a really, really nice setup, though he spent more $ to get it there.

Primarily it's a matter of preference, but as for technology and longevity the Bilsteins will retain their original performance longer than anything else I know of.

My preference would be to do the H-sport front and rear bars and an ABT or Eibach spring with MATCHED Bilstein shocks.

I don't know what to make of the Eibach shocks as for performance and logevity of performance, perhaps someone can weigh in on those...

Personally I prefer to make the car perform better, but in keeping with it's public roads usage. That means not too harsh but communicative and recoverable (e.g. you screw up, you live to try again without harming yourself or others, and you get some warning before you get there).

In the end you'd be amazed how much faster you car can go with a few days at the track and some instruction - even watching instruction videos is valuable, and cheaper than anything!

In any event, good luck with your purchase!

Regards,

Sarge
Old 07-06-2003, 09:30 AM

Had adj. Koni's and were great at first but faded quickly...Bilstien were consistent through out.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Love mine on my Avant

All worked out well for aggressive street driving. REally took the roll out of my heavy car. Only gripe....I wish I would have saved for Coil overs....for the adjustable ride height. I have heard that the Eibachs have an adjustable ride height via the spring cups. Might be someting too look into. A little adjustability in height could go a long way in the winter.