A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Anyone know what exhaust this is?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know what exhaust this is?

Catless downpipes! Is this custom or does anyone know who makes it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 11-11-2009, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No help from the seller, he says it came from the overstock of a local autoshop. Noone recognizes these pipes? They are just Downpipes w/cats, not cat-backs right?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor

If there isn't some identifying marker on it somewhere it's a generic brand made overseas. All reputable manufacturers proudly will display their names on things they fabricate.

Only generic products designed to be misleading will hide it.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ver true, unless it's a custom setup. I just came from a 7th gen accord V6 with a 6speed and noone but Comptech or this small company called J-Shift made headers for our cars. The J-shift ones were custom made in small batches and save many from paying 4X as much from Comptech. I was wondering if maybe anyone had these same pipes. They actually look nicer quality than Milltek and APR pipes, but we know those are engineered systems. This is probably just a shiny set of crappy parts, but I thought I'd ask!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiControlA6
Catless downpipes! Is this custom or does anyone know who makes it?
Hey Audi

I don't think this is custom as I've seen a few of these on eBay in recent months for the S4. I bet they are trying the A6 waters now. For the price it might be worth the gamble. If it sounds crappy cut the mufflers out and spend an extra few bucks on some good replacements. Trouble could come in with the DP flanges etc and if the manufacturing process is crap (as some people have experienced with some of the knock-off headers out there) then you might end up with crack down the road. If you have a welder etc that might not be an issue either.

Wait a second.... that the setup looks incomplete! I do not see the pipes that go to the rear of the car? They cannot possibly go out straight like that. My APR had an "S-bend" to go from before the rear axle to the rear mufflers. Which brings me to my next question.. Where are the rear mufflers? Using the stock ones defeats the object as that's where most of the restriction is.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

these are DPS and "mid pipes". Eg, you still need the whole back end with mufflers etc.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thejulex
these are DPS and "mid pipes". Eg, you still need the whole back end with mufflers etc.
these are cat eliminators. notice there are no PRE cats right after the turbo, and there are no MAIN cats anywhere to be seen, the gian ovals you see on the straight pipe is the :mid: muffler, or more commonly known in our circles as a resonator. this would be a nice kit to get if you want to go catless. hell id be willing to pay 300 just for some good fitting precat delete pipes. also if your looking for performence look into a electronic cutout, best bang for your buck. go from race loud performence to quite cruiser with the push of a botton. theres actually a company now that has a wireless key fob system, no more ugly switch or wire routing
Old 11-12-2009, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thejulex
Ah yes... did not think of that... Doh!

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 11-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys,

Yeah I figured out it was just the downpipes and midpipes in post two. When I first posted the thread I thought they were catless downpipes and straight pipes with just resonators. Then I looked at other kits and saw my mistake. Either way these are a lot cheaper than any other downpipes I have seen, but with noone else having experince with them I wouldn't risk throwing an engine code. I'd rather spend my $300 on piggies that I know won't give me a dash light!