A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

is anyone using Motul motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is anyone using Motul motor oil?

i've been using M1 0w40 for the past few years and i haven't had any complaints, overall it's been pretty good. my mechanic recently suggested switching to Motul (it's what he uses in his M3) or LubroMoly which is a little cheaper. i was looking at Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-40, an ester based oil, it's almost 2x the cost of M1, but could probably go twice the mileage between changes w/ better protection. any opinions out there?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmm.. I use Castrol synthetic just the like dealer. In my Bimmer I use M1 10 w 60 just like the dealer. Mobil 1 has a different synthetic blend for Bmw`s because there service intervals are longer than Audi`s or even Mercedes. but if a longer lasting oil is what you are seeking , ( not recommended) The 2.7t motor needs more frequent oil changes than most naturally aspirated motors. However the Motul 8100 5w40 is a good choice as well as the Motul Excess 5W-40. Similar detergents and molybdenum.

Last edited by nyc.turbo; 01-21-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

You might try getting a spectrometric oil analysis of your existing lubricant before changing.
At least you'd be making an objective analysis rather than simply going with the herd.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i wasn't necessarily going to change just because my mechanic suggested it, but did a little reading on the Motul oils, specifically the ester based ones, and think the added protection of the ester based oils keeping all metal parts constantly lubricated due to their molecules positive charge (can't recall the exact scientific explanation) would be good for my situation as most of my driving to and from work and other errands rarely lets my oil get to operating temp. i don't necessarily want to go much longer intervals between changes, but it's nice to know i can. i usually change oil twice a year as i probably only put on maybe 7k miles/year and also started using the higher capacity oil filters as well.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

any syn oil will do the job as long as u do them often.

I run amsoil 5w40 european formula and change it out every 5000km.

easy way to give perfect care to ur motor.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by VONBOTTLE
i've been using M1 0w40 for the past few years and i haven't had any complaints,

i was looking at Motul 8100 X-Max 5w-40, an ester based oil, it's almost 2x the cost of M1, but could probably go twice the mileage between changes w/ better protection.
Stick with an oil that meets the engine mfr's requirement. Any of the brands you mention are fine assuming they meet the requirement.

The Motul product is NOT rated for a longer change interval when compared to the Mobil 1 0W40.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Stick with an oil that meets the engine mfr's requirement. Any of the brands you mention are fine assuming they meet the requirement.

The Motul product is NOT rated for a longer change interval when compared to the Mobil 1 0W40.
aggain DO NOT listen to this guy regarding oil.. there are PLENTY of oil out there that dont meet the "standard". the fact is it costs somethimg like 500,000 to 1 million dollars to get your oil approved by audi. all you have to do is know your engie and what it needs. oils have to meet quality standards for national governing bodies and many meet or exceed the audi standard but arent "qualified" infact i havent run audi standards in 30 k on my 2.7. why? because the commercial grade oil i run far surpasses anything that has the audi stamp, not to mention is ester based. oil is very important and usually going with the audi standard will never cause you problems, but there are better CHEAPER oils out there that can be used, shell rotella syn anyone ???? go to bobistheoilguy.com and cruise around there for some better advice
Old 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

another internet opinion:

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
aggain DO NOT listen to this guy regarding oil.. there are PLENTY of oil out there that dont meet the "standard". the fact is it costs somethimg like 500,000 to 1 million dollars to get your oil approved by audi. all you have to do is know your engie and what it needs. oils have to meet quality standards for national governing bodies and many meet or exceed the audi standard but arent "qualified" infact i havent run audi standards in 30 k on my 2.7. why? because the commercial grade oil i run far surpasses anything that has the audi stamp, not to mention is ester based. oil is very important and usually going with the audi standard will never cause you problems, but there are better CHEAPER oils out there that can be used, shell rotella syn anyone ???? go to bobistheoilguy.com and cruise around there for some better advice
Old 01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
another internet opinion:
not opnion when backed up by facts bozo... go troll elsewhere you aint got the chops to hang with me
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No experience with Motul but

I've had great results with Total Quartz Energy 9000. It's approved for VW 502/505. Since I've changed over from M1, I've experienced less oil loss/burning and lifter noise. It's about a buck more per liter/quart.

Quick Reply: is anyone using Motul motor oil?