A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

APR Chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They do not need to prove that the chip didn't cause the problem..

you need to prove that it didn't. And given that the chip places more stress on practically every aspect of the drivetrain, that is probably pretty difficult to do.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-chip. I am anti people who try to defraud Audi of America by trying to get warranty service on engines that had post chipping issues chips thereby making the cars more expensive and by lowering the resale value (by making the cars seem more unreliable than they actually are).

If you want a chip go for it, but you shouldn't expect the rest of us to pay for it.

John in Cincy
Old 04-20-2006, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never had to feel the points of that thorny moral dilema. In four years

the only warranty work on I had done on an engine component was a bad MAF and a split vacuum hose that had been badly pinch clamped by a grumpy Hungarian on the TT assembly line.

I appreciate the high ground of your viewpoint, but I think I'll still sleep OK tonight ;-)
Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 PM

I would suggest that you read Magnuson Moss......the responsibility is on the dealer
Old 04-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Default I use a superchips programmer on my Dodge.......

both of the dealers I regularly work with know about it, and it it dually noted on my factory ext. warrenty that I have it. The only request of the dealers is that I turn it off before taking the truck in for service, otherwise, they have never given me a hard time.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Yeah but...

...I think you'll find the dealers and AoA have many more resouces to bring to bear than you do. I hear what you are saying, but the reality is they can decline the service claiming the chip is the source of the issue an ultimately you will have to prove them wrong. This happened to me - it didn't become an issue, but I had a service manager call me and tell me they "discovered" my car was chipped and therefore my drivetrain warranty was void. BTW, I bought the car used from an indy and the chip was a surprise to me too. Had there been a drivetrain issue while I was still in warranty, I guarantee I would have had to prove it was not caused by the chip.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The truth about Flash/Chip

Any mod that is above the spec of the car has the potential to void the portion of the warranty that that mod effects. Meaning..any problem related to an increase in the power output of your engine can be questioned including turbos, trannys, differential, etc.

APR and GIAC and REVO Flash technology can be seen with a VAG scan tool....but only if the dealer looks for it. They are not invisable. Most dealers are OK with it.

The rule is if you want to play...be ready to pay.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you blow the turbos & you're chipped you're SOL even if it's not because of it.

That's approx $4,000.00 out of pocket. So unless you have deep pockets and don't care go ahead. I researched this very thoroughly with searching on this and other places I discovered it's not worth it to me, even though I always want more power too.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

there is no LAG on a 2.7t.......but a chip will ad more boost
Old 04-20-2006, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yikes - that's one wild statistically unverifiable paranoia you got going there!

If you think the infinitesimally small percentage of chipped cars (of any make) relative to those who spend their entire warranty life as stock is capable of skewing the reported reliability of a given make and model you've got some serious demons flying around under your hood.

Failed coil packs, exploding fuel sending units, and miserably unreliable electronics have been VAG's repeated and well publicized failures that cause poor reliability ratings. None of these issues can even remotely be related to "chipping" a car.

Your (and my) resale value is pitiful because the world is building more luxurious, safer, more reliable cars with better performance every year, even Audi! ;-)Drive a C6 A6 - it's better in every dynamic way (leaving subjective aesthetics out) to the C5. The high cost of repair for cars out of warranty also makes new cars increasingly desirable and used cars less desirable.

Sorry, but let's lay poor resale value somewhere else than on the .005% of Audis that suffer grave mechanical issues because of chipping and then receive warranty work. You made a reasonable point about the ethics of the issue, but leave yourself and everyone else off the victims list.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:14 PM

I have lag

Quick Reply: APR Chip