A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

APR presents PRICE DECREASES on the APR exhaust system for your car!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So now you're stating that I need to have the APR software to use this exhaust system?

That was not an option 2 years ago. But what if I have a non-APR chip/program in my ECU?

Your solution, would flash any non-APR software that someone was running on their cars. So for anyone with a non-APR chip, your solution doesn't work.

I exchanged emails with Tom Patton at APR who explained the only solution was to either get the APR Stg 2+ software installed in my car, (additional $699) but that it would not be possible to do that since I had a non-APR Stage 3 kit, so the APR software would not work.

The only way to get a Stage 3 software was to buy the APR Stage 3 kit ($5998). So there I was after spending $3000 with APR, the only way to solve the problem was to spend more money with APR.

When I called in and made the order, I told the sales rep that this exhaust was going to be part of a significant upgrade and non-APR stage 3 set up, and that I need to make sure it passed CA emmissions test, and they said this wouldn't be a problem. No mention of software flashes or coding.

At the end of the day, I responded to your ad, decided to purchase you gear after asking the right questions, and when asking for help I was told the only option was to buy more 'stuff' to make the original parts work together.

I know I was paying a very high premium for the full exhaust vs. a piggie solution, but I did that based on the fact that the whole entire system would work as designed, and I wouldn't have to chase down any gremlins. I wanted something that worked and was designed to work together. It did not, and spent over a good year chasing down gremlins.

All I'm trying to do here is informing others who might not be as aware off all the intricacies that are required to make the entire system work.

Obviously this has been an issue- which is why APR now has a 'free' software flash for the ECU. But for those who have non-APR chips in their cars, do they disclose this or is it something that they find out after the fact?

Like I said- if emmissions are not a concern, this is a fine set up.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any time a non-objective vendor uses the forums to advertise...

...I don't mind hearing a member's counterpoint. The only thing Ernesto failed to do was distinguish between his full system and a cat back system. His comments about the support received by the vendor in question are certainly valid and of interest to anyone in the market for an exhaust system; regardless of configuration.