A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

April - can you explain the difference between a ballon deal and a lease???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

April - can you explain the difference between a ballon deal and a lease???
Old 11-21-2002, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

OR ANYONE ELSE
Old 11-21-2002, 09:32 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My understanding is that a "balloon" deal is a form of purchase...

where you make monthly payments followed by a single "balloon" pay-off at the end of the term. This allows you to pay smaller monthly payments. A lease, on the other hand, allows for smaller monthly payments because you are only paying for the actual usage of the car, and the car gets surrendered at end of term. If you were to buy out the lease at end of term by paying the "residual" this, in effect, would equate to a "balloon" purchase.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There are some tax implications, but I believe the biggest difference is...

that in a lease situation, you can give the car back, or buy it for the pre-determined price (the residual). Some dealers will work with you on price, but they certainly don't have to and sometimes they can't (depending on the leasing company)

In a balloon deal, you have to make the final payment or trade before it's due. Obviously, you could go out and finance the balloon payment.

There are definitely tax issues. Consult your CPA and see if there's an advantage one way or the other for you.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:35 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Default I'm not sure there are any differences, tax-wise. Any car payment...

can be deducted if you have a legitimate business purpose, whether chacterized as a "lease" or "loan" payment.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Balloon deals are often frowned on a great deal among reputable dealers.

You get the low payments of a lease, but have to buy it out at the end of the term. In some cases, the buy-out is not determined until the time the balloon payment is due - which leaves great room for leasing company abuse. This is an open ended lease. In some states it is out-lawed.

Basically you defer paying for the bulk of the car until the end of the term. Audi has a similar deal known as a Premier lease ( not open ended though ).

You know the drill with a regular lease, you pay for the amount/depreciation that you use, and walk away at the end of the lease.

Consider if you plan to keep the car long term, with cash flow tight now, but expected to be better later. If so, a balloon situation might work for you. However, I would be very wary of such a commitment.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default True, but it can affect "how" it's written of as well as the method used...

Actual expenses, mileage, depreciation. They absolutely can affect your write-offs. Are you doing it individually, through a corporation, are you a S Corporation shareholder, etc.... That's why I say consult your CPA if you plan on writing it off and find out what they advise.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have two of these notes...

They were done through our credit union. It is essentially a regular purchase with smaller payments and a balloon amount due at the end of the term. The cool thing, though, is that I know the buy-out amount up front (closed-end), and I can keep it, sell it, or give it back at the end of the term. It works well for shorter payback terms. It is actually a nice setup, and my wife and I have used it a few times already. Of course, I can only speak about my own experience, but it's been a good one so far.

Mike
Old 11-21-2002, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Huh, I didn't know that you could just "turn it in" at the end on a balloon deal. Interesting.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Depends on lending institution and state laws.

Quick Reply: April - can you explain the difference between a ballon deal and a lease???