A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi 2.7T...Good used car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:06 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 2.7T...Good used car?

I'm in the market for a used car. I have a 96' Volvo 850 right now, and have been looking at some volvo's and Audi's. I have narrowed it down to the Volvo S60 T5 5-speed and the Audi A6 2.7T 6-speed. And to be honest am leaning towards the Volvo from a reliability standpoint. We have a bunch of Volvos in our family, and 1 Audi(A6 3.0). Neither brand has given us much trouble, but the Audi and dealer give you those troubles that drive you crazy! The key remotes never work, the headlight washers leak/break, Oh and the worst climate control system to ever be set in a dash!!!! Now I guess my real question is how has everyone done with the 2.7T? Are there any rule of thumbs? Like, "the turbos will definately blow at 90K miles" Or "The 6-speed will blow after a few laps around a track" etc. I am looking for a "reliable" snow,rain,cold able car, which can make me smile when I bury the throttle!
I want to hear the good and the bad...."People tend to speak up more when they have something to complain about"
Thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stoney's links in my sig...

..also Search function is your friend.

That being said, if reliability is your main concern. look elsewhere other than the 2.7T. Look at the 2.8/3.0L or the 4.2L.

If you want a car that when you chip the ECU is a complete wolf in sheep's clothing, then get the 2.7T.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's an interesting dilemma you pose. One question for you - do you need all-wheel drive? That

was the key factor that threw me over to Audi when I was comparing Volvo and Audi 7+ years ago. I picked out a new 2.7T (first year prduction, by the way) and haven't regretted that at all. It has been the most satisfying car I've owned.

The turbos have been rock solid -even though your ead here about undersized oil lines on early model turbos. Has not been a problem for me.

The tiptronic transmmission has also been great - though there certainly are days I wich I had gone with the 6 speed, which by most accounts here has been a bulletproof tranny.

Certainly there are some small things that have broken, but al in all I must say the car has been really good to me.

When you say you want a "reliable snow, rain, cold able car" the 2.7T can certainly give you that - and much more. It has rally decent power, with a w-i-d-e torque curve that'll put a smile on your face anytime you want. The interior is as well designed as you'll find. The quattro is a fantastic system that pulls you through snow, ice, wet, whatever.

Oh, and if you decide you want to put some extra oooomph into the car, a quick $600 chip transplant will bring huge grins to your face.

LEt us know what you do!
Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No experience with Volvo's for comparison...but 6-Spd 2.7? Grinning Ear-to-ear!

I've had some problems here and there. I did replace my turbo's because I wanted to not because they were bad.

Transmission...yup, had that rebuilt not because I wanted to. 1st&2nd gear clusters, syncros, labor...Probably the most annoying expense I've had while owning the car.

At 104,000 miles now, do I love this car? Heck yeah!
Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 AM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well....I've got both in my garage....

Mrs GBW has the V70, the station wagon version of the S60, so here are some random thoughts:

1) Not really a apples to apples comparison...the A6 is $10,000 to $15,000 more than the Volvo

2) The Volvo will never egg you on to hit that next apex or stomp on it to the next light

3) The interior is nowhere near as nice as the A6 (and nowhere near as quiet)

I love the Volvo for how we use it. It holds as much as our Windstar mini-van did (Hangs head in shame for owning that), the built in child seats (they fold out of the normal seat) are exceptionally useful, and the car has been rock solid...just not a lot of fun for somebody who likes to drive, which Mrs GBW doesn't care about at all...so this is the perfect car for her.

Obviously, I drive it a lot. It has nowhere near the refinement of the Audi (but keep in mind the price difference), nor is is anywhere near as much fun to drive. It's more fun than a Honda, but it's no Audi.

I've owned Audi's since 1987, they are not inexpensive to maintain, but if you look at any of the "fun to drive" cars, they come at a cost of ownership expense for that.

The C5 A6 is one of my favorite cars that I've ever owned; I love driving it every day. The Volvo is also one of my favorite cars because it fits our family perfectly....but it would not be my first choice for a daily driver..
Old 03-04-2007, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I bought CPO '01 2.7T Tip and it has been rock solid 2 years and 30K miles

I hope I didn't jinx myself. This car is great. I've had a lot of different cars and this is my favorite of all time.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:32 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOW many times do we have to hear about your two Mings?? <yawn> (jk!!)
Old 03-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Fear the Miata!

stick with the volvo....you've already made up your mind
Old 03-04-2007, 07:44 AM

Default s60 t5 won't bring any smiles to your face and the 2.7T is just as safe if not better, volvo's are

no more reliable after 90k by wife's mom had a volvo back in the days and she bought it new and after about 90k the car just crapped out so many issues that it gave them a headache and they sold it off. now any car can become like that but i just can not concur that the volvo is more reliable.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We are a different breed around here, and would never compare the two. There is...

no comparo -

Quick Reply: Audi 2.7T...Good used car?