A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi 2001 A6 Hose I.D. - Melted Hose!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 2001 A6 Hose I.D. - Melted Hose!

I bought a 01 a6 4.2 v8 late last year with roughly 160k miles on it. It had all scheduled maintenance done at the local dealer, so it seemed like an ok deal for 6k.

The yellow check engine light was on, but codes were P0491 and P0491 which seemed to be just an o2 sensor from what i read online. The car drove fine, and the light wasn't blinking.

About a month ago, the car started shuttering on a cold start. I'm not use to the V8, so sometimes the engine makes it feel that way regardless, but this was more then just the power of the engine, if felt as though i was constantly mis-shifting a manual car, that lurch forward you get except this car is an auto and it was constant. Now that it's warmed outside it has stopped, but the other day when changing the oil for the first time in my garage (as opposed to taking it to the dealership), i noticed a hose starting in one place and not coming out on the other side like it should, i gave it a slight pull and it was quite loose. When i pulled a bit more, this is what i found

I tried to highlight where the hose is, and where it looks like it runs to.

[img=http://s24.postimg.org/9gzlgcwq9/IMG_5160_2.jpg]

I couldn't get the second pic rotated but it should be flipped to the right 90 degrees. It basically runs down from the bottom left of the engine pay, towards the front, up along the body and comes out right by the air filter. That's the best way i can describe it with the limited car knowledge that i have. Hopefully the pics do the trick. There are no audi markings, or really any markings of any kind that i can see.

Basically, I'm trying to find out what hose this is. My dad has all the tools so it's hard to make a special trip just to figure out which hose it is. I would like to find that out, have the part ordered and make the trip up there whenever i have the part. The Audi dealerships can only check it out if i make an appointment, and the only available is two weeks from now so hopefully somebody can help me I.D. this hose.

We also re-checked the codes and now were getting 5 more

P0355
P0101
P0430
P0309
P0022

These all seem to be related to a misfire in cyl 5, along with some ignition issues. Has anyone else experienced these? I've read on a few forums that these were coil related and possibly even a recall?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jace
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I can't figure out how to edit my thread, but here are bigger pics, sorry about that.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow, and yet a third post for revisions.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would help if you posted what each code means.

A bad coil is not unheard of, and esp at that mileage.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, the codes specifically i'm not as worried about at the moment. This hose must be fixed that i attached pictures of, and that is my main focus. I'm going to try and get larger pics up, the hosting site i used was garbage, but the main hose in the wider image is 100% melted and separated from the other end (not even sure where the other end is located). I am assuming that if i fix that hose, i can eliminate a code or two and then move on to the next.

The first two codes i listed that are consecutive numbers are generally for O2 and secondary air, at least from what i could find. I'll post up what i can find on the others as i figure them out, but for now i just need to I.D. that hose so i can get the part on order. A completely melted hose cant be good.