A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi a6 2.7 engine oil smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi a6 2.7 engine oil smoke

So i found out one day that i have an oil leak. I looked under the car and found oil all over the bottom of the engine. So there was smoking soon after i found that coming from the passenger side right near the intake. I got the valve cover gaskets replaced and a new EGR valve. The smoke comes from the passenger side of the header and almost looks like it comes from under the headers and inbetween the header pipes and the header heat shield. Somewhere in that general area though. It used to be not too bad and i dont beat it up too much. The car has 160k on it i check the oil level and its fine all the time.... what could this be? Where could the leak be coming from? Its like a blueish smoke and it comes even before i get up to full operating temp. Please help thank you.. (the picture shows where the smoke is coming from in the circled area. Most of it vomes out inbetween the intake and the engine the gap inbetween.)
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Valve cover?
Old 10-20-2015, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Default You might try removing all the plastic sheet and LOOK.

Originally Posted by Alec1278
So i found out one day that i have an oil leak. I looked under the car and found oil all over the bottom of the engine. So there was smoking soon after i found that coming from the passenger side right near the intake. I got the valve cover gaskets replaced and a new EGR valve. The smoke comes from the passenger side of the header and almost looks like it comes from under the headers and inbetween the header pipes and the header heat shield. Somewhere in that general area though. It used to be not too bad and i dont beat it up too much. The car has 160k on it i check the oil level and its fine all the time.... what could this be? Where could the leak be coming from? Its like a blueish smoke and it comes even before i get up to full operating temp. Please help thank you.. (the picture shows where the smoke is coming from in the circled area. Most of it vomes out inbetween the intake and the engine the gap inbetween.)
Not to be tough on you but the picture is useless. There are a dozen sources for oil leaks there. Furthermore, just because you had the valve cover(s) (technically they're cam covers) gasket replaced doesn't mean they won't leak again due to time, improper installation or cheap aftermarket gasket, or in the case of the 2.7T bad PCV system that pressurizes the crankcase and blows oil past the gasket or camshaft seals.

If you remove all the plastic in the way and gently degrease the area (I've used various Gunk spray engine cleaners with a low pressure water flush) and use a UV tracer dye, you should be able to detect the oil leak source.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Valve cover gaskets, chain tensioner gaskets, rear cam plugs, do them all at once or its a waste of time. Thats whats leaking.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alec1278, You had a EGR valve replaced?

These cars do not have an "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" system, was it a Combi valve or Crankcase Regulator Valve??
Old 10-21-2015, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I had same problem but mine was a 3.0L. Your problem lies on the cam tensioner gasket!
Old 10-21-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by David Steve Perez
Hello, I had same problem but mine was a 3.0L. Your problem lies on the cam tensioner gasket!
Did you mean cam sensor gasket on your engine?
I know my 3.0 don't have a tensioner gasket, 2.7 and 2.8 have a different cam adjustment system with chains and other leak areas.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Bro, you helped me with my car before!! This is the thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-s6-c5-platform-discussion-7/cam-tensioner-gasket-camshaft-seals-2890240/.

So my car is a 3.0L which does not have a cam tensioner nor camshaft seals.

When you change your valve cover gasket you also need to change the tensioner gasket as well as the half moon gasket.

Please refer to this you tube link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtGu5-UJqA

I hope this helps you.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by David Steve Perez
Bro, you helped me with my car before!! This is the thread https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...seals-2890240/.

So my car is a 3.0L which does not have a cam tensioner nor camshaft seals.

When you change your valve cover gasket you also need to change the tensioner gasket as well as the half moon gasket.

Please refer to this you tube link
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SQtGu5-UJqA

I hope this helps you.
What I meant with my reply was if you had a 2.8 or 2.7 with an oil leak in these areas the gasket or seal advice would be irrelevant, our 3.0's don't apply here.

Your youtube link does apply though.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

yes, for the 3.0L is different.

So you need to follow the youtube video for reference since you have a 2.8 or 2.7.

I am sure you have the bentley for that. But make sure you purchase a special tool to hold the cams.

It should say on the video.