A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi A6 has gone in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 has gone in limp mode

Hi everyone,

my Audi A6 2.5 tdi ( C5 2001 ) has suddenly gone into a limp mode like status. It's smoking like crazy & wont rev over 2000rpm. The ESP light has come on & wont turn off, sometimes it goes off on it's own & then all power is back to normal but as soon as the ESP light comes on again it goes back into limp mode.

If you have any ideas as to why this is happening please help me,

thank you in advance

:-)
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by captain*chaos
Hi everyone,

my Audi A6 2.5 tdi ( C5 2001 ) has suddenly gone into a limp mode like status. It's smoking like crazy & wont rev over 2000rpm. The ESP light has come on & wont turn off, sometimes it goes off on it's own & then all power is back to normal but as soon as the ESP light comes on again it goes back into limp mode.

If you have any ideas as to why this is happening please help me,

thank you in advance

:-)
Based on what you said? No idea. But a good place to start is to scan the car for codes. If automatic, scan the TCU as well. This requires VCDS/vag-com or a trip to a mechanic who has one.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok so all sorts has happened since I last posted. A friend suggested to me that I check the fuel filter, so I removed the fuel filter & couldn't believe what I was looking at, WATER & loads of it!! I emptied the filter of all the crap ( loads of brown gundge aswell ) took it to my shed & cleared it out with my airline replace the filter & started the engine. went for a drive & everything was fine. Off I went to buy a new filter & on the way back it died, spluttered to a holt!! I changed the filter, undone the bleed screw & turned it over but nothing. Today I have been in the boot ( trunk ) & removed the uplift pump, removed the motor & wired it to my battery, the motor fired into life so it's all now been put back.

I have removed the line in to the filter & turned the car over, no fuel pumping out, seems to me that the fuel isn't even getting to the filter but the pump/motor in the fuel tank is working fine.

Please help me out i'm stumped

P.S I have plugged scanner into the car & nothing serious popped up lots of little things like bulbs, door lock etc but that's it.

sorry to babble on but just wanted to give you the whole picture

& thanks :-)
Old 07-19-2013, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Fuel lines might have growth in them .See if you can get some fuel from your tank in a clear container. Let it settle ( overnight to 24 hrs in a dark place ) see if there is water in tank. If there is water in tank it should be obvious by color separation. At separation, if there is a dark line , its highly probable that you have microorganisms growing In tank. There are biocide products that have to be added . let it sit for as long as possible.... days . BTW...Before adding biocide , get as much water out first . Not sure if yours have a drain plug so it might have to be pumped or siphoned out . PIA. Water is heavier than the fuel so you will see when the color changes. Change both filters again. Fill the main filter with fuel first . Helped a friend and this is what we did . The only 2.5 cdi Ive seen in the US brought from Germany .
Old 07-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

so it seems i'm still not getting any fuel pumped through from the tank. The motor in the fuel pump is working fine, is there any other reason other than the motor in the tank that it wont pump from the tank to the filter. Fuel lines have been cleared, tank drained & new filter.

what else could go wrong with the fuel pump in the tank ?

thankyou