A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help

Hi,
Just to let everyone know.. I bought this car with prbs.. Thinking it would be small, but turned up to be big.. I repaired most of it. The only thing left is the Transmission.. We tested to make sure that the Tranny fluid was up to specs.. I replaced the TCM computer becuase there was a roof leak that filled up the floor with 5" water.. My TCM computer was destroyed.. I bought a new TCM Computer from ebay.. Now my car feels like it's stuck on 3rd or four gear.. I think it's stuck safe mode... Also dash displays no changes in gear.. ALL GEARS ARE HIGHLIGHTED..

Does anyone know what tool I can use to reset the transmission TCM?? I searched on ebay for a portable diagnostic computer, but there is too many.. Seller's don't know anything.. "K" or CAN ??

Also Reverse works perfect.. Has great pick up.. "D" like its on 3 or 4 gear very slow take off..

My car info;
2004 Audi A6 2.7 Quattro Turbo VIN: WAULD64B24N027898?

Please can anyone help me or point me to the ebay item I need to buy...

FYI;
I fixed all oil leaks, No vacuum leaks, Fixed the Coolant leak {Auxiliary pump},
replaced the turbo clamps.. New Engine oil{Synthetic}, Transmission oil leveled as per specs}
Old 05-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

TCU is in safe mode. You need VAG-COM for diagnostics and to verify correct coding.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default tranny limp mode

I found these on ebay;\

Item number: 200608397392
Item number: 250821511737

None of the sellers can give me a straight answer..
k-line- or can

so many versions.. very confusing

go with the expensive one or the cheap one

Mines is turbo awd drive also
Old 05-22-2011, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO!!! If you have a laptop computer then you want a VAG-COM. Get this: http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCKII.html Just fixing this tranny issue will save you the money spent over taking it somewhere to be coded.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default VCDS

If I buy that sw, do I require a special access code to program or gain access to my audi computer...

I see that those HK portable retrieve dealer pin code and change them..

That sw reads it does not pull that info..

I dont want to get stuck with something that requires
something simple code to enter that may prevent me from
programming my audi computer..
Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Guru

Buy the hardware and the software from Ross-Tech. You can't do half the diagnostics with the cheapo ebay crap.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Buy the hardware and the software from Ross-Tech. You can't do half the diagnostics with the cheapo ebay crap.
Very excellent advice. Audi problems are difficult enough to solve on their own so you don't need the additional problems of cheap eBay scan tools malfunctioning or providing incorrect data.
Also Ross-Tech provides very good technical support except for airbags.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default TCM stuck on LIMP MODE

I replaced my TCM 4B0 927 156 FE purchased from ebay, it was in excellent shape. I just wanted something that can diagnose, Reset.

I understand that Ross equipment is really good, but I also need to reset the airbag and reset all error codes.

I think it might be a faulty connection in one of the pins in the TCM connector, I might have to pull them one by one..{Rust Maybe}

On the Drivers side underneath the carpet, there is another module.. Remember only the Passenger side was filled with water due to a Roof water line crack. It filled the passenger side 3" of water.. Driver was completely dry.. { I pulled the entire carpet out to dry out}

When I turn ON the ignition, I hear a Clicking sound {Driver Module}{relay) Causing the interior lights to dim.. Almost like fluctuating.. on .. off .. on.. Funny thing is when I turn off the ignition the interior lights stay on..

I found another problem.. I noticed on the Dash, The open driver door indicator does not show.. Every other open door shows fine on the dash..

I opened the Black box, found the relay that clicks. Removed it and it stopped.. but the interior lights don't come on when I open the door.. LOL

It's like something being power on when the ignition is ON, causing the interior lights to fluctuate.. Remember only happens when the Ignition is ON.. When the Ignition is OFF the lights stay on.. I thought it would be a open door sensor malfunctioning.. If that was the lights would not turn On..

Something is shorted when powered up.. causing the interior lights relay to click off and on..

>>>>>>
But right now My main concern is the Transmission TCM;
- The Original TCM was destroyed and replaced.
- Rug removed and dried
>>>>

- Connector was clean.. I may have to replace it
- If I replace it, how do I remove the LIMP mode?
- Is there a device that can reset the air bags, air bags {not deployed} and diagnose ?

Overall;

GOOD
- Rug removed interior dry
- TCM replaced
- ALL Engine/turbo clamps removed, clean and re-tightened
- Oil changed Synthetic
- Roof leak Repaired
- Door remote locks : PASS
- All Electrical Windows :PASS
- Sun roof :PASS
- Coolant Temperature: PASS
- Oil Leaks : NONE
- Oil temperature normal
- Exterior Lights all work minus Fog Lights
- Replaced Condenser
- Freon Replaced / Vacuumed : Pass COLD!! NICE!
- Replaced Radiator (Red Fluid)
- Broken Power Steering hose Replaced
- No Vacuum leaks

BAD part;
- Bypassed Damaged Coolant auxiliary pump
- Transmission Position indicator ALL HIGHLIGHTED
- Air bag indicator ON
- Stuck on LIMP mode 4 gear
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vag-Com will do everything on the car including airbag light. It can scan and help diagnose most electrical systems in the vehicle as well as reset error lights. Most valuable tool in your DIY arsenal.

Audi electrical systems are extremely complicated. There are multiple mini computers throughout the car called modules that control various things such as door locks, seat controls, and much much more. All these modules can talk to each other. When one malfunctions it can mess up seemingly unrelated other things and makes figuring out what is wrong very difficult. A Vag-Com can access these modules individually and help determine the source of the problem.

Last edited by 5v/cyl; 05-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by gsm1999

I understand that Ross equipment is really good, but I also need to reset the airbag and reset all error codes.

I don't think this is true. I do not think you have any idea how important this tool is...and what does the airbag have to do with it?

You need a serious diagnostic tool to start tracking down your problems. Unplugging stuff and listening for clicking and other stuff may seem like diagnostics, but you really aren't doing anything other than guessing.

Plug in anything you have unplugged, buy or borrow a Ross-Tech VAG-COM setup and start from zero.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 Turbo Tranny Stuck on 3 or 4 Gear :( help