A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi CPO replaced Timing Belt and parts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi CPO replaced Timing Belt and parts...

That's right...

So I go drop off my 2004 Sline for the 75K.

And to my surprise they tell me they will cover the following under the CPO (which is expiring this June):

SparkPlugs
Air filter
Oil filter
Serpentine belt and tensioner
Timing Belt
Damper and tensioner

The only thing they did not cover was the water pump, thermostat, and rollers (dont ask me why)
of course I wanted them to replace those parts as well so I ended up paying $750 out of pocket.

Needless to say I'm in shock, since my car has 80K and needed the TB job asap.

I just wanted to pass this info around...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LadroAudiA6
That's right...

So I go drop off my 2004 Sline for the 75K.

And to my surprise they tell me they will cover the following under the CPO (which is expiring this June):

SparkPlugs
Air filter
Oil filter
Serpentine belt and tensioner
Timing Belt
Damper and tensioner

The only thing they did not cover was the water pump, thermostat, and rollers (dont ask me why)
of course I wanted them to replace those parts as well so I ended up paying $750 out of pocket.

Needless to say I'm in shock, since my car has 80K and needed the TB job asap.

I just wanted to pass this info around...

they only covered the timing belt to get you to pay for the rest of the REQUIRED service, timing belt cost them 30 bucks, you got hosed IMHO, all the parts alone cost less then 300, including the coolant. so it seems to me they still got money out of you to cover labor on the belt,
Old 02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
they only covered the timing belt to get you to pay for the rest of the REQUIRED service, timing belt cost them 30 bucks, you got hosed IMHO, all the parts alone cost less then 300, including the coolant. so it seems to me they still got money out of you to cover labor on the belt,
Have you quoted a new timing belt job from the dealership lately?

I didn't think so...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LadroAudiA6
Have you quoted a new timing belt job from the dealership lately?

I didn't think so...

though i do the work my self

seems they got you to pay half....

have you looked up parts prices lately?

didnt think so
Old 02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hate to say it Ladro but I agree with 2.7turbo...the main cost of a TB/WP/Thermo job is the labor which roughly runs $750-1200 at the dealership being they take off the front of the vehicle to access everything they need to. You should've chose an all metal water pump over the OEM hard plastic one that can later malfunction ($80-100 online). I think they tricked you bud...my indy mechanic would've done the entire job including cam seals/valve cover gaskets/cam plugs/cam tensioner seals/etc. for $1200 including all parts & labor not warrantied.

Pure motorsports Pricing:
Full timing belt kit ($309.95) includes:

- OEM Tensioning damper (Many kits don't include this!)
- OEM Tensioner Roller
- OEM Relay Roller
- OEM Tensioner Lever Arm (Many kits don't include this either!)
- OEM Timing Belt
- OEM Behr Thermostat with O-Ring
- OEM Serpentine Belt
- All Metal Water Pump

(4) Cam Seals ($4.95/ea) Total: $20
(2) OEM Valve Cover Gaskets (inner/outter) ($29.99/ea) Total: $60
(2) Cam Adjuster Seals ($4.49/ea) Total: $9
(2) Camshaft Plugs ($4.95/ea) Total: $9.90
(2) 1.5L Newest Forumla G12 Coolant - $14.99/ea Total $30

Total with shipping (2-3 Day Air): $505

Do some shopping around bud and don't always trust the stealership - they'll reword things to make it seem like you're getting an awesome deal...they're always out to screw you and make money though.

Last edited by 01A6Turbo; 02-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 01A6Turbo
Hate to say it Ladro but I agree with 2.7turbo...the main cost of a TB/WP/Thermo job is the labor which roughly runs $750-1200 at the dealership being they take off the front of the vehicle to access everything they need to. You should've chose an all metal water pump over the OEM hard plastic one that can later malfunction ($80-100 online). I think they tricked you bud...my indy mechanic would've done the entire job including cam seals/valve cover gaskets/cam plugs/cam tensioner seals/etc. for $1200 including all parts & labor not warrantied.

Pure motorsports Pricing:
Full timing belt kit ($309.95) includes:

- OEM Tensioning damper (Many kits don't include this!)
- OEM Tensioner Roller
- OEM Relay Roller
- OEM Tensioner Lever Arm (Many kits don't include this either!)
- OEM Timing Belt
- OEM Behr Thermostat with O-Ring
- OEM Serpentine Belt
- All Metal Water Pump

(4) Cam Seals ($4.95/ea) Total: $20
(2) OEM Valve Cover Gaskets (inner/outter) ($29.99/ea) Total: $60
(2) Cam Adjuster Seals ($4.49/ea) Total: $9
(2) Camshaft Plugs ($4.95/ea) Total: $9.90
(2) 1.5L Newest Forumla G12 Coolant - $14.99/ea Total $30

Total with shipping (2-3 Day Air): $505

Do some shopping around bud and don't always trust the stealership - they'll reword things to make it seem like you're getting an awesome deal...they're always out to screw you and make money though.

**** i forgot about the seal! blau parts has the ultimate kit for 350.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A full TB/wp/thermo job at Audi is $2100

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
**** i forgot about the seal! blau parts has the ultimate kit for 350.
give or take....
I have it in writting from a different audi stealership.

So all in all the car was there, it was being serviced, they offered to do it for free replacing certain parts. So I told them to "take it to town" and replace everything else the cpo did not cover. And they did.

$2100 vs $750

You do the math. Yeah yeah... "your mechanic...." well he's not in my area and I don't trust Indys. If they screw it up they don't have big pockets like AoA.

The point of this post is stating how the cpo (partially) covers the timing belt job for the Sline 2004.

I think I got an awesome deal ^_^
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow! $750 for those three things?!?! All the labor is in getting to the timing belt, thermo and water pump are almost no extra labor and parts on those should be no more then maybe $300, if that.

I paid my Indie like $1300 or something for the full TB job, all the seals and gaskets, thermo, metal water pump, air filter and cabin filter, plugs, etc. I sure as heck trust him more then Audi because he actually seems to know the car and can (and WILL) take the time to explain everything in detail or pull me out to the car to point around and show me stuff. Audi always seems very confused and second guess themselves a lot and NEVER let me go out to the car to look at their work.

I mean $750 from the dealership to do all that is BETTER, but not a great deal, you should have laughed at them and said no way were you paying more then $300ish or had them explain the labor rates, I bet they charged you for a full tear down amount of time to replace the extra stuff (I.E. the labor to change the belt anyway)
Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2100? are your dealers on crack? audi of north scottsdale want 1700 out the door (if you dont know AZ scottsdale is a really rich part of town with labor rates through the roof) audi of chandler is only 1500 (better rrates) i still think you got hosed... basicly they covered parts and made you front labor, on something they were taking apart anyways....
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

meh...

I'm happy, and that's all that matters.
I'll pick up my babe later today or tomorrow.
(It's snowing in Dallas and the loaner they gave me is a FWD I miss the Quattro now)

Quick Reply: Audi CPO replaced Timing Belt and parts...