A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi/Eibach springs....ride quality w/o shock upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2000, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi/Eibach springs....ride quality w/o shock upgrade

Typically, stiffer springs are matched with stiffer shocks to avoid bouncing after bumps. Thus, I'm surprised to see these as a stand alone option through some dealers.

In the A6 2.7T's case, are the stock shocks "sporty" enough to handle these springs?

Any reviews of ride quality over road irregularities, handling and overall comfort would be appreciated.

TIA,<p>Kurvkrazy
'00 2.7T tip
Torqueless Tailwagger: '91 Koni/Eibached Miata
Old 07-03-2000, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Audi/Eibach springs....ride quality w/o shock upgrade

I think the PSK and PSP suspension packages used the same shocks, anyway - just different springs and anti-sway bars. Sooooo, putting the audi/Eibach springs in should not be a problem.

I put in the Eibach pro-kit springs (lower than the Audi/Eibachs) with stock shocks and it's great! A huge handling diifference, and still a comfy ride...

Dave<p>DLow
Old 07-03-2000, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Audi/Eibach springs....(long)

I know ChrisJB has them on his 2.7T. He's not available to answer this right now (how is France, Chris?) but we have had extentive conversations about these springs and their performance. Chris has told me they dropped his car 35mm (1 3/8") front and rear, greatly improved the road manners (reduction of squat, dive, and roll) without ANY loss of the A6s superb ride qualities. He has driven my (stock) 2.7T and told me exactly where/when the springs will change/improve the ride and driving qualities of the car. All this with the stock shocks. He is also running 235s on 17" S4 wheels, but he did that change long befoe the springs, so he elaborated on the exact improvements brought by each change. I respect his opinions (he's a very good auto-x-er) and I can't wait for my springs to arrive.

HTH

Pete<p>Peter R Dieckerhoff
Old 07-03-2000, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PSK package does have different shocks that you can now buy from Audi separately from the PSK. For many years aftermarket shock companies have sold firmer shocks as an upgrade. These shocks didn't require different springs in many cases so I would imagine that you could change your springs with out changing the shocks. I am an engineer (mechanical and electrical) and I understand the reason for your concern but I think that most car suspensions are severely overdamped (as far as oscillation is concerned) so you can change shock and spring rates quite a bit before getting into real trouble.
Old 07-03-2000, 08:06 PM

Default Thanks Pete for passing that on

<p>Kurvkrazy
'00 2.7T tip
Old 07-03-2000, 08:24 PM

I've noticed that the autocrossing Miata folks always recommend using stiffer shocks with stiffer springs. Every once in a while, I'm reminded why when I see a slammed Civic or Eclipse that practically hops down the road. It's a case of form over function for some in the "cruiser crowd". I'd think their cars would be a handful in the twisties.

The PSK package's shocks are probably what the Eibachs are ideally suited for, but then again, Pete's friend's remarks make it sound like it would be overkill.

What about 40k miles down the road? Will the springs potentially shorten the life of the softer stock shocks?<p>Kurvkrazy
'00 2.7T tip
Old 07-03-2000, 08:34 PM

Default AoA said PSK shocks stiffer as well

I read in an earlier post that AoA said that the springs are 30% stiffer and the shocks are 40% stiffer with the PSK....or was it the other way around?

Anyway, your ride is as comfortable as before? I have to be careful, because this car is primarily used by my wife, who prizes comfort over handling.

Have you measured from wheel center to fender well to see what kind of drop the Pro Kit springs have made?

TIA,<p>Kurvkrazy
'00 2.7T tip
Old 07-08-2000, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You raise a (IMO) very good question. According to ChrisJB's experience, I'll go now with the Eibach springs, but I'll continue to wait for a set of Bilstein Sport shocks for the A6 2.7T. I think that may answer potential long-term effect of the Eibach springs on the stock Sach shocks.
Any further reports on exactly what the differences are between the stock/PSP shocks and the PSK shocks?
Last I heard, the Bilstein Sport shocks were "still under development" for the A6 2.7T. And we all know what THAT means...<p>Peter R Dieckerhoff