A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi/Eibach springs update and a few thoughts... (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi/Eibach springs update and a few thoughts... (very long)

It's now 8 months since I had the Audi/Eibach springs installed on my '00 2.7T. I remember having screamed 'WOW' twice after the installation -- once when I saw the lowered look of my car, and next when I drove it. I could hardly believe the sea change in the car's driving and handling mannerisms. "I love it", I had said to myself.

Now, after 8 months, I have gotten used to the ride with the new springs, and I have a few thoughts. I've noticed that my car dives and bounces a lot more after the modification, than it used to with the stock springs. I have waited for the springs to settle-in properly before asking for advice, but this is bothering me more and more everyday.

Some folks on this board had suggested going with stiffer Koni shocks alongwith the springs. Do you guys think that will help reduce the dive and bounce? Technically, it makes sense 'cause the increased dampening provided by the shocks will reduce the recoil experienced when the car encounters irregularities in the road surface.

Any thoughts, experiences, etc?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2002, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's the shocks, they have matched Eibach's now on shox.com....

that's what I will upgrade to when my shocks become too bouncy.

Here's the quote:

> Your Car: 00 AUDI A6 2.7T (4WD)
>
> Preference: EIBACH
>
> Product: PRO-DAMPER
> Supplier: EIBACH
> Make: AUDI
> Model: A6, Sedan Quattro, 6 Cyl., (Incl. 2.7T Bi-Turbo)
> Body:
> Year: 5/97-01
> Part Number: 1562.840
> List Price: $820.00
>
> Comments: Your price $549.00

HTH,

-st
Old 02-19-2002, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Konis Set Too Soft

This problem can continue even if you go to Konis. Mine are adjusted at one full turn off of full soft, and I experience the same thing. Perhaps others who have their Konis adjusted to a stiffer setting can say whether they get this "bouncing" effect, or if the stiffer setting takes care of the problem. If I had known, I would have set the Konis to a stiffer setting.

The Konis are supposedly "adjustable"--but the claimed "adjustability" is misleading because you have to pull the shocks off to adjust them. The cost of an "adjustment" is about what the shocks themselves cost.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I experienced the same thing ....

The stock shocks are too soft for the Eibach springs. So I installed Koni shocks at the 1 turn setting, but having lived with the set up for over 1 year, I have to say I am not entirely happy with it.

It controls bumps fairly well but the rebound seems overly aggresive, body always seems to come crashing down. I really don't think the Konis are well matched to the Eibach springs.

I don't know if there is a better solution out there except perhaps the ABT setup, but if you find it, let me know.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Is there enough of a difference in the cost of install between coilovers and shock spring

to make it pretty close?

Coilover install should be much easier as there is no shock install.

Coilovers are around $1500 for the parts? Is that right?

Shock/spring - around $900 parts? Is that right?

Install of Shock/springs double what the coilover install is?

Can anyone compute the actual difference in total $$ between the two installed?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, since he already has the springs it would cost the following...

$600 for the shocks and say $500 for install at an Audi dealer. Total: $1100

New coilovers are $1500 + install (say you get an awesome price - $250) He could probably sell the Eibachs and make back $200. Total $1550

-st
Old 02-19-2002, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow! Prices sure have gone up! Even Eibach said the list for the Pro-kit dampers

(made by Sachs) is $720. That was less than 2 weeks ago. They "offered" me $50 off as an "appeasement" for the problems with the continual "settling" of my Eibach Pro-kit sport springs. They refused to "match" the written quote I had from shox.com of $499 plus shipping (about $20).

For coil-overs both KW and H&R use progressive-rate springs. The Eibach pro-kit sport springs are linear, as are the ABT sport-suspension springs. Both ABT and KW use a specially-valved Koni for their damper. Both are "adjustable" off the car. H&R builds their own damper using either Bilstein or Sachs units with the "compression" valving set a bit softer to work smoother with the progressive springs for normal driving and the rebound valved a bit firmer. The H&R dampers are not indivually adjustable. The ABT sport suspension dampers use "circlips" (similar to Bilstein) for some degree of initial height-adjustment, but not the height-adjustment range of the KW or H&R coil-overs.

When I asked the much-more experienced instructors at PIR (Portland) last week-end the general advice to me was that if I wanted to "bias" my car's suspension more for better performance on the track vrs. a better behavior on the street then the ABT sport-suspension would be a better choice. If I wanted improved track performance with about the best street behavior, then the H&R would be better. If I wanted to "tune" the suspension to my tastes after driving it on my car, either the ABT or the KW would be better. All said "most definately" that any of them would be substantially better than my too-low Eibach sport-springs and the now very worn-out stock/OEM dampers. Also suggested as a solution is replacing my current springs/shock with the full Eibach Pro-kit sport suspension. All four options are "matched" suspension kits, one with height-adjustability, some with both height and damper adjustability, and one with only damper adjustability.

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2002, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Eibach springs ARE progressive, not linear.

Per their website:

"All Eibach Pro-Kits are designed by experienced engineers specialized in chassis dynamics and are tested by seasoned qualified drivers. They are designed to properly and safely lower your vehicle's center of gravity through the use of proprietary progressive spring rates; reducing squat during acceleration, body roll in the turns, and nose dive under braking."

-st
Old 02-19-2002, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very interesting...Eibach's tech. dept told me they are linear, and they sure look it.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Ok - so try this math...

$600 for the shocks, $300 for the springs and say $500 for install at an Audi dealer. Total: $1400

New coilovers are $1500 + install (say you get an awesome price - $250) Total $1750

The spread is only $350 - but is it worth it????

Quick Reply: Audi/Eibach springs update and a few thoughts... (very long)