A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi information on "new Sport Package"

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 08:59 AM
JP

Default Audi information on "new Sport Package"

I have seen a number of posts regarding a 2000 A6 2.7T suspension mod/change which is included in a "new Sport Package" option. Having recently ordered an A6 2.7T with the "Sport Package" for $750.00, I researched this change with Audi. After a 3 e-mail exchange to ensure good information, I was told the "new Sport Package" is nothing more than a price increase to $1000.00 and NO OTHER changes were made. The $1000.00 Sport Package is the same as the $750.00 Sport Package.

A modified suspension (stiffer) is included in the A6 2.7T as a base upgrade. When you order an A6 2.7T you get a better suspension.

I hope this clears this up, and helps those who order the Sport Package and wrongly think they are getting a suspension change.

I of course, base this on the information I received from Audi. I got the same information from 2 phone operators (techs/consultants)

I did not ask about distant future suspension change.

..../jp
Old 01-10-2000, 02:29 PM
Steve Bollinger

Default Re: base suspension in the A6 2.7T

I get happier and happier with mine every day.

I just blasted my car around a freeway onramp and through one of those stupid California ramp merges at the same speeds I would have moved my previous (underpowered, but pretty good handling) coupe.

Sure, it heels over a little quick, but it does stop heeling. You can do quick manuvers without the car heeling farther over or the inside wheels lifting.

On top of that, with the Quattro kicking the power down on all 4 wheels, the car is rock stable even with the pedal floored.

Hats off to Audi for this improved suspension. It gives me all the handling I need with a very smooth ride.

I can't see much need for a stiffer suspension unless you are going to race, or cruise at 100mph often.
Old 01-10-2000, 04:31 PM
Jim

Default Re: Audi information on "new Sport Package"

November '99 production and up 2000 A6 2.7T sport pack includes sport seats.
Old 01-10-2000, 05:12 PM
SAR

Sport seats, wheels and tires have always been in the 2.7T sport package. (nt)
Old 01-10-2000, 05:54 PM
kas

Default Re: Audi information on "new Sport Package"

The info you're reporting is certainly contrary to what I've been told from 2 dealers in my town. In fact, I cancelled my original 2.7T with the Sport Package and reordered specifically for the privilege of paying $250 more for the Sport Suspension. Both dealers independently confirmed the stiffer suspension and the car being lowered 1-1.5 inches. Logically, as if that has anything to do with option pricing, its pretty hard to imagine that AoA decided that better tires, seats with a bit more padding, and wheels of dubious distinction were underpriced at $750.

I am troubled by your report, although I don't doubt that's what someone at AoA might have said. As I'm sitting waiting for my reordered 2.7T I sure hope that some other regulars on this forum jump in to clarify what the real story is.
Old 01-10-2000, 06:07 PM
Steve R.

By heeling you mean understeer i.e. front wheels lose traction?
Old 01-10-2000, 06:19 PM
GerryL

Default I interpreted heeling as leaning .nm

Old 01-11-2000, 07:54 AM
JP

Default I, too, am troubled

by the reports that caused me to call my dealer to ensure my A6 2.7T had the "new Sport Package".

Does anyone know where the original information about this so called "new Sport Package" that included a suspension change came from?

kas, I did my best to research this and will (if wanted) post the e-mail exchange with Audi. I would ask those dealers you speak of to provide a specification sheet or some kind of hardcopy proof. In my experience, when some change has been rumored and no one can find it published officially, it is just that, a "rumor".

I assumed the information I received from 3 different people at Audi was correct. My dealer also knew nothing about this during my initial query with them. I left a message yesterday to leave my order as is (I did not want to leave the door open for a $250.00 increase for the same seats, tires, and wheels included with the old and I believe "only" Sport Package for the A6 2.7T).

I would also like to see others verify this with Audi as long as it is clear that this suspension change is PART OF THE SOME NEW SPORT PACKAGE option, not something included as standard on the 2000 A6 2.7T.

I tend to believe the dealers would lean toward the "new Sport Package" as a justification for the price increase (no hate mail please).

The audiusa.com site still reflects the $1000.00 cost, while the options in the package remain the same.

..../jp
Old 01-11-2000, 08:10 AM
PaulV

Default Re: I, too, am troubled

i originally posted the news of the post Nov. '99 sports package's suspension addition. seeing this string of posts i checked back with my dealer and he in turn found the AoA dealer bulletin that clearly includes the sports suspension as part of the now $1000 package.
Old 01-11-2000, 09:21 AM
Steve Bollinger

heeling is leaning

Quick Reply: Audi information on "new Sport Package"