A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi information on "new Sport Package"

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2000, 09:23 AM
Steve Bollinger

Default heeling is leaning (sorry, mispost)

Yea, there is absolutely no wheel spinning. First, because the suspension is keeping the wheel on the ground. But if you hit a rise under heavy accelleration and a wheel does lift, the "traction control" (in quotes since Audi doesn't call it that on the Quattro) will kick in and keep the wheel speed down, even in those short intervals.
Old 01-11-2000, 09:30 AM
Steve R.

Default The reason I asked was because the "non sport suspension"...

4.2 has a tendency to understeer. Confirmed by my test drive and "objective" testing. Understeer is obviously more desireable to oversteer, but at the limit I think this leaning sensation is in fact a understeer episode in that the car feels like it's leaning because the front wheels are losing "some" traction. That is, you'd think by straightening the wheel or turning it to the right (for example) you would alleviate the "lean" to the left. In fact you can't do this immediately because the front tires have lost traction (hopefully briefly).
Old 01-11-2000, 09:46 AM
JP

Default Is there any chance

of getting a copy/scan of that "official dealer bulletin" posted here?

I just spoke with Audi again (I am less than impressed with them now), and after asking for further clarification, was again told the sport suspension is standard with A6 2.7T.

Here also, is the e-mail, as written, from Audi (AoA, auditalk@vw.com, Vincent) on 1-7-00:

"To be clear, there is only one Sport package for the A6 2.7T, and the new price is $1000.00 (increased from $750.00). The Sport suspension is not now, and has not been part of the Sport Package on the A6 2.7T, but rather standard equipment.".

I've asked a manager at my dealer to locate documentation on this also. If I find anything to disprove what AoA is stating, or verify what PaulV's dealer has stated, I will post it.

I guess the bottom line is: Does the sport suspension come with the A6 2.7T as standard equipment or included only with the new $1000.00 Sport Package.

Anyone else have documenation?

..../jp
Old 01-11-2000, 09:52 AM
LCP

Default I wouldn't rely on anything an Audi customer service rep says...

It's been demonstrated in the past that they know only what their supervisor's told them and don't have much chance of digging up info that's not been designated as part of their "current" question-answering package.
Old 01-11-2000, 09:55 AM
JP

I now agree (nt)
Old 01-11-2000, 12:24 PM
Steve Bollinger

Default Re: understeer

On this note:

I got into a bit of a disagreement with a friend who couldn't believe my Saturn SC (cheap-*** coupe) would oversteer during high-speed cornering manuvers (like highway on ramps) and his Acura Integra GS-R would understeer (like mad).

Well, it did seem odd that GM would design oversteer into a car.

It appears that the reason is my policy of inflating tires. I always inflate all my tires to the highest pressure listed for any tire on the car. Now, on most cars the rears are supposed to be lower, but not on mine. I did it for gas milage, since the lower pressures are for a better ride in the lighter rear end. Since I never ride in the back, I figured I'd try to save some gas money.

Well, it turns out another reason is to make the rear tires a little more grippy and insure understeer. Ralph Nader talks about this in "Unsafe at any Speed". Understeer makes GM's lawyers very happy.

Anyway, if you want less understeer, try inflating your rear tires more. Make all 4 equal see what happens. Me, I'm not going to try it on my A6 because my days of hot rodding around freeway onramps are largely over.

I have to say, with the tires equal on my Saturn, the handling was WONDERFUL. Get a little fast, and the rear tires would loosen up a just a tiny bit and start to slip out, thus tightening your turning radius. If you got scared and slowed down, it would come right back into line. Or alternately, turn the wheel out some more and the fronts would move out to match the rears and get you back into line.

Pretty good for a cheap car. Makes me wonder how much fun I could have in an MR2.

Anyway, on your 4.2, if your tires are losing so much traction that you can't change your direction by steering, then you are well past the limit. Yep, your car is "plowing" which is normal for street cars. I can't imagine your car feels drivable at that level, does it? I get scared if I can't make manuvers at the drop of a hat. You should see me on ice/snow. What a scaredy cat. I don't go into ditches or cause chain reaction accidents though, so that counts for something.

Perhaps a more race-oriented driver could give you tips how as to better control your car near that limit. I honestly couldn't even tell you if what you are describing is solvable by a different suspension.
Old 01-11-2000, 02:26 PM
Bob

Remember Steve, EDL shuts off at 25 mph (40km/h)
Old 01-11-2000, 04:17 PM
kas

Default April - HELP - We need you on this one!

Can you clarify whether the 2.7T Sport Package really includes a Sport Suspension upgrade over the base 2.7T or not. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-11-2000, 06:45 PM
Steve Bollinger

Default Give it a rest

Yes, you are right. Would it matter that the rise I hit was the edge of the road getting out of my driveway. In the middle of a right hand turn also.

So I zoom out of my driveway a little fast. Sue me.

Perhaps you were tripped up by my talking about high-speed handling. Yes, I am also talking about freeway onramps, but I consider high-speed handling anything where the car isn't "darting", and the suspension and roll comes largely into play.

Low-speed handling is manuvers where you are making very small daring turns and frankly, the only way to optimize for this is to make your car lighter and shorter.

Let me give an example, if a maneuver is something that a Dodge Viper can be good at (which is considered a good handling car), it is a high-speed maneuver. If it is something only a Lotus Elise or MGF can do well, it is a low-speed maneuver. This may be the wrong definitions, but it is my definitions, and it might help if I explain them.

Anyway, the place I usually get EDL to go is coming into my driveway, where the front of the car lightens up at lot. Going out is less likely since the rise is smaller. But I am usually going faster when leaving.

Hmm. I am beating this to death. Suffice I am very happy with the handling of my car. Jeez, I can't believe I have to explain myself to Bob just to say that. (Helpful though he might be.)
Old 01-13-2000, 09:19 AM
April

Default Dec orders for sport pack, should include sport susp. according to area rep`

The Audi tech lines generally won't divulge upcoming changes - just what is current. Knowing Audi, I'd wait 'til I see it ;-)

April
I've been doing a lot of dealer trades - will check when I have time