A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

AUDI Masters! I have a tough one for ya!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mastertekb
ok i just got done with the timing belt. took me forever to get the cam lock and crank lock pin. but now timing is dead on. i started it up and im still surging up and down and then it dies. same thing as before. and i still have the same cam positioning sensor codes. it runs pretty smooth except for the surging up and down then dieing. UGH what is wrong with this thing.
How did you set the cam timing?

The cam belt sprockets use a special type socket T40028, all four bolts should be loose then the belt installed and pre-tensioned then starting with the driver side exhaust cam bolt turn cw to 10nm or 7.5 ftlb then repeat to pass side then tighten all four to 100nm or 74 ftlb.

Take a look at this link about the positive crankcase vent valve, it may apply to the surging problem
Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I timed it according to alldata. Same as the walkthrough on here. I replaced that crankcase diaphragm but no change. I'll leak down test it weds. But I did a compression test and it passed. It ran perfectly before the guy pulled it supposedly. I meen what else could throw all 4 cam codes.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I timed it according to alldata. Same as the walkthrough on here. I replaced that crankcase diaphragm but no change. I'll leak down test it weds. But I did a compression test and it passed. It ran perfectly before the guy pulled it supposedly. I meen what else could throw all 4 cam codes.
Did you use the T40028 cam socket?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well. No I didn't use the socket but I did use two punches with a bar in between. Figured it would do the same thing. If it took a lil slack would that make the car idle surge?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well. No I didn't use the socket but I did use two punches with a bar in between. Figured it would do the same thing. If it took a lil slack would that make the car idle surge?
Hey I'll be one of many to say that MacGyver is a real American hero and dam interesting with a paper clip too, but you need the right tools to do the deed and the exhaust cams need to be set right.

Behind the exhaust cam bolts you might of noticed something else right,
the socket in my mention sets this.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Are you kidding?

Good god, buy the tools so you know it is timed right. Tools are critical for this job, more so when you think there might be a timing related issue.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did set the exhaust cam slack I just didn't use the socket. But I did rotate it all the way clockwise. But ill pull it apart and check everything again. Ill get the socket. What about the cam adjusting valves. Could they be bad?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ^^^^Amen^^^^

A 40 dollar tool or a used head will conclude this post
Old 01-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok ill get the socket and give it another shot. But If the cam has slack will it make it surge? Thanks for your help everyone ill update tomorrow
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes maybe No

But If the cam has slack will it make it surge?
If your still getting 4 cps codes and the sensors are good the most logical suggestion is that the cam timing is off and out of range, start with the most critcal problem first.

Quick Reply: AUDI Masters! I have a tough one for ya!