A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi OE BBS RC versus Standard BBS RC

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi OE BBS RC versus Standard BBS RC

To those of you thinking or purchasing the Audi OE 17 x 7.5" BBS RC versus getting them from BBS, here are some differences. Standard RC wheels come in either a polished (POK) or brilliant (DSK) finish, both of which look spectacular daytime or night especially on an A6 with the chrome trim around the window frames, trunk lid, and front grill. The wheels are not chrome and look great. Disappointingly, Audi has not chosen either, but uses a basic (somewhat dull) silver paint. IMHO, the great and unique quality of the BBS RC finish is one of the main reasons besides weight and strength to buy the RC. BTW, the BBS DSK finish costs more than the POK and the POK may be hard to find. When you look at the Audi wheel, it definitely includes the BBS stampings and indicates they are made in Germany. The weight (approx 19 pounds as per tire rack and BBS) thankfully is in keeping with the Standard RC, so there is no worry you are getting something "less than" a Standard RC. The center cap is different, and I have written the warning about this on a previous thread about the possibility of over-tightening the Audi RC center cap versus the flimsy supplied tool. Finally, although I have not personally verified this yet, the Audi wheel is 17 x 7.5" while the Standard RC wheel may be only 8" wide for the 2.7T. This will also attribute the Standard RC actually weighing more than the Audi RC wheel. One last thought, if you are considering the Audi RC wheel but prefer a brighter finish and less spokes to clean (9 versus 16!), you might consider the Audi sport wheels that look like an RSR on the Audi USA website. They cost and weigh the same as the RC wheels. I hope this helps people who are thinking of buying the Audi RC wheels.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great post. Thanks for the thoughtful research.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:14 AM

Default Re: You're welcome and size confirmation.

I'm very glad to offer this kind of information. I only wish I knew this before I got my car. I probably would have done what others have done and insisted my deal be based on replacing the RC wheels with the Audi sport 9-spoke wheels. Also I did confirm the Standard RC wheels from BBS are 8" wide.