A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi pre-purchase question 4.2 quattro

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi pre-purchase question 4.2 quattro

It was suggested that I start my own thread for this.

I am looking a winter vehicle that will see a lot of highway driving over a mountain pass over the next 2 years.

Would like a capable highway cruiser that is nice,large and comfortable.

And currently have narrowed my selection down to the 3 cars.

i am also looking at buying a 2001 Audi A6 4.2
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A6/K...howcpo=ShowCPO
this one in particular

it has 132xxxKM and asking price is $8995 CDN which seems like a very good deal

the vehicle has 2 owners and 1 minor accident in 2002 (repair cost under $4000). Which in Canada is very minor, considering a glass break claim on my old Subaru was $2500 when you factor in the paint chips.

the dealer has all the service records from the 2nd owner since 2006. based on what i saw, all the services were performed on time, including a $5000 service to replace timing belt and water pump at 99000km. (owners manual says that doesnt need to be replaced until 160000km..not sure why it was done early). All servicing was done at an Audi Dealership

Other "problems" that were fixed includes a $2000 repair job at an audi dealership to replace a O2 sensor and a $1500 repair to fix a broken motor on the steer wheel adjuster.

the only problem that is not fixed is the cluster display that has a few dead pixles which makes the screen that displays the current fuel economoy and such not readable.

the other cars I am looking at includes a 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T awd and a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S80...howcpo=ShowCPO
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A4/R...howcpo=ShowCPO

but they are both more expensive by about $2000 CDN.

in you guy;s opinion, should I "walk away" from the A6 and go for the newer A4 or S80....or is this a safe gamble given that it has all the service histories?
Old 08-25-2012, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is the dealer safety inspection for the 4.2 A6, and the ICBC report.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
File Type: pdf
2001 Audi- Autobook.pdf (63.4 KB, 1073 views)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what are you worried about? its the 4.2 L quattro, very reliable car. the timing belt and water pump were done early because audi changed the schedule, the book says 105,000 miles and audi changed it to 75,ooo miles i believe.

the 3.0l motor in the A4 is KNOWN to have problems chewing up camshafts, and the volvo has a turbocharger which can be anotehr can of worms (although taken care of properly, turbo cars will last just as long)
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
what are you worried about? its the 4.2 L quattro, very reliable car. the timing belt and water pump were done early because audi changed the schedule, the book says 105,000 miles and audi changed it to 75,ooo miles i believe.

the 3.0l motor in the A4 is KNOWN to have problems chewing up camshafts, and the volvo has a turbocharger which can be anotehr can of worms (although taken care of properly, turbo cars will last just as long)
Thanks for the explaination on the tb/h2o pump change interval.
I guess my only concern is with the eletronics and the transmission which I was told is a known issue.

And good to know about the 3.0L A4 engine issues.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Volvos of late 90s and early 00s were known for electrical issues. My acquaintance had 2002 S80 with multiple issues. Anecdotal evidence, i know, and Audis have their share too.

A4 is not as roomy - rear seat space is quite small.

A6 is a great size vehicle, but 2001 is getting a bit aged. For a good price, though, why not. And it sounds like you're leaning toward it anyway.

I've been extremely happy with my 4.2 A6.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by skiiipi
Thanks for the explaination on the tb/h2o pump change interval.
I guess my only concern is with the eletronics and the transmission which I was told is a known issue.

And good to know about the 3.0L A4 engine issues.
Transmissions fail on all cars, even Hondas, and the A4 too. My transmission is original with now 228,000 kms. You never know, there are no guarantees.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

It was suggested that I start my own thread for this.

I am looking a winter vehicle that will see a lot of highway driving over a mountain pass over the next 2 years.

Would like a capable highway cruiser that is nice,large and comfortable.

And currently have narrowed my selection down to the 3 cars.

i am also looking at buying a 2001 Audi A6 4.2
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A6/K...howcpo=ShowCPO
this one in particular

it has 132xxxKM and asking price is $8995 CDN which seems like a very good deal

the vehicle has 2 owners and 1 minor accident in 2002 (repair cost under $4000). Which in Canada is very minor, considering a glass break claim on my old Subaru was $2500 when you factor in the paint chips.

the dealer has all the service records from the 2nd owner since 2006. based on what i saw, all the services were performed on time, including a $5000 service to replace timing belt and water pump at 99000km. (owners manual says that doesnt need to be replaced until 160000km..not sure why it was done early). All servicing was done at an Audi Dealership

Other "problems" that were fixed includes a $2000 repair job at an audi dealership to replace a O2 sensor and a $1500 repair to fix a broken motor on the steer wheel adjuster.

the only problem that is not fixed is the cluster display that has a few dead pixles which makes the screen that displays the current fuel economoy and such not readable.

the other cars I am looking at includes a 2004 Volvo S80 2.5T awd and a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Volvo/S80...howcpo=ShowCPO
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Audi/A4/R...howcpo=ShowCPO

but they are both more expensive by about $2000 CDN.

in you guy;s opinion, should I "walk away" from the A6 and go for the newer A4 or S80....or is this a safe gamble given that it has all the service histories?
the volvo is garbage. The tranny on those are sloppy and fail at a higher rate than the 4.2 a6's. LOTS of electrical issues as well. I was looking at the s80-S60 (same tranny,engine)

The a4 is a good choice although i have heard the 3.0 is a little more difficult to work on than the other v6. The 3.0 have a issues with the cats failing, cam lobes wearing down.

4.2 is a stout. Great engine but, was a let down when paired with a weak tranny. there are some owners with original tranny with 180k+ and some who have done a 6 speed swap.

If you want reliable, then the 2.8 a6 will serve you well.
the 2.8 (mind you) is slow as hell in taking off from 0,(not too slow than the 3.0, but slower) but once it reaches highway speed its acceleration is great. and its proven to be the MOST reliable engine put in the c5 a6.

and ofcourse the quattro is the same in the 2.8 or 4.2

Last edited by rohit13; 08-25-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Volvos of late 90s and early 00s were known for electrical issues. My acquaintance had 2002 S80 with multiple issues. Anecdotal evidence, i know, and Audis have their share too.

A4 is not as roomy - rear seat space is quite small.

A6 is a great size vehicle, but 2001 is getting a bit aged. For a good price, though, why not. And it sounds like you're leaning toward it anyway.

I've been extremely happy with my 4.2 A6.
Leaning towards it cause its 2000 cheaper than the other 2 I'm looking at
And that 2000 can go towards to repair/maintenance fund if needed.

I guess I will get it inpsected again at an audi dealer intown.

As for the transmission, would the audi dealership be able to give me a good gauge on the "condition" of the tranny? I am not much of a car guy (love driving them, don't know how to fix them)
Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

gauge the status of the trnamission? not really, unless they tear it apart and inspect it
Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Leaning towards it cause its 2000 cheaper than the other 2 I'm looking at
And that 2000 can go towards to repair/maintenance fund if needed.

I guess I will get it inpsected again at an audi dealer intown.

As for the transmission, would the audi dealership be able to give me a good gauge on the "condition" of the tranny? I am not much of a car guy (love driving them, don't know how to fix them)
Drive it, make sure it shifts up and down smoothly. Any bangs or hard shifts -stay away.

Quick Reply: Audi pre-purchase question 4.2 quattro