A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi and Reliability Part Two

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi and Reliability Part Two

Audi and Reliability Part Two

Considering getting an Audi of some sort, no older than 2002 an no more miles than 50k, I hope to find one that is Certified with a 100k Warr… as well…

I will be putting 2100 miles per month, with no intention on keeping any car longer than 18 months…. Iâ€<sup>TM</sup>m curious to see how well Audi Holds up, Iâ€<sup>TM</sup>ve looked at J.D. Power, and well it says that is 3 out of 5 stars so its average…. The question is define average?

My current working location is 60 miles away, I will be driving in excess of 90Mph on good days… I have a National Security type job, so it is key that I am where I need to be…

I know that lexus, would be a better bet.. But, they donâ€<sup>TM</sup>t have Quattro nor do that have the .. the Audiness that I so desire…

I would like you thoughts on this issue…, Who knows better than current owners, right?

Considering a 06 Accord V6

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. For those that are wondering

No female here... I will be working for Uncle Sam, and from what I have heard... From my local, High-ranking State Troopers, in my state is that certain government people do not get tickets...

Yes, I may be pulled over, and given a finger or two…
Old 08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default big deal, so what if you go 90....

i thought you go 110+ daily.....

A6 is a solid auto w/ a good maint. history. Buy a warranty, and go w/ whatever you like.

90 mph isn't impressive....it gives creedence that you'll endanger others.

Good luck on your choice and drive safe.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There are different Audies and they have different reliability

unfortunately all Audies are pained with the same brush as the chipped 1.8T and the 2.7T.

My '01 A6 4.2 sport has been trouble free and never left me stranded. This is more than I can say for some of my previous Toyotas, which are supposed to be so reliable.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: big deal, so what if you go 90....

Most of the time, when I will be going that fast it will be 4am, so I doubt that there will be alot of cars out
Old 08-13-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Egil, are you saying the 2,7T is a bad Audi? (more)

Hi Egil,

I am a new Audi owner, and happened to have purchased a 2004 A6 2.7T. I love this car, but every once in a while on this board I read something that makes me feel like perhaps I've purchased a "bad" Audi ... comments about the twin turbos, the Tip trans, and your comment above.

As I am pretty clueless compared to all you guys on this board who know so much about these danged Audis, could you please elaborate on the 2.7T? What sort of things/problems should I be looking out for? What sort of things can I do to minimize any problems?

Thanks in advance for whatever wisdom you can share on this topic!
Old 08-13-2005, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like you've had some training....

just want people to be safe--it makes it tough for emergency people responding when boneheads that are on their phones or drinking coffee pull out in front and cause accidents.

Audis work well in bad weather (quattro), and are perform when everything is working properly. I don't think it would leave you stranded as long as you do preventative maint. and take care of things (fluid changes, brakes, etc.)
Old 08-13-2005, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You're the first owner, right? Just be sure to use synthetic oil

in the correct weight for your area (temps), warm up and cool down the turbos before and after romping on the gas, perhaps swap out the throttle body boot to the reinforced AMS unit, and keep an eye on the bypass valves.

I think a lot of reliability issues spring from early cars, or people who didn't take proper care of a turbo car. If you look in Stoney's link under my sig, you'll see discussions on brand and oil weights, as well as other hints to maintain the car properly. It's not magic. All you need is some good information.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Personally I would question the reliability of ANY 3 year old car you're going to buy and . . . .

plan on subjecting it to high speeds over long distances. Not to mention doing so at a rate of 35,000 miles in 18 months.

I understand the draw buying used has since your initial cost will reduce monthly payments (assuming you'll have to make payments on either new or used). It's best to factor in the monthly payments for both vehicles and then do the math.

Make an assumption of the amount of maintenance you'll require assuming normal wear and tear items on high mileage vehicles (cv boots, tires, alignment, maybe 1 major failure like turbos should you get a turbo model).

You also should consider the end value (the amount you'll get from selling it) of a used 3-yr old car that had 30k when you bought it (assuming 10k/yr of the prior owner) but now is 4-yrs old and has 65k miles. Compare that with the new vs end value of a 18 month old car with 35k miles and some remaining warranty with little to no maintenance costs in that 18 months. In other words the two vehicles will lose value over the course of your 18 month stint at different rates.

The difficult part though is that it might be easier to sell the newer car that still has remaining warranty vs the older one that will have less or no warranty remaining.

Of course if you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy and you get a great deal on a used car then I would think buying used is the best way to go.

You get the picture . .
Old 08-13-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Thanks April for the info

Yes, I am the first owner. I make sure the engine oil is at 175 deg. before taking it over 2000 rpm -- which isn't really a problem as I am 10 minutes from the freeway, so I couldn't go fast before the car gets warmed up even if I wanted to.

No oil changes yet - the first one will be at 5000 miles. I will make sure the dealer uses synthetic, since that's what the manual calls for.

As for those other two things you mentioned -- what language were you speaking???? Should I ask the dealer to swap out the throttle body boot to the reinforced AMS unit (whatever that means), or would I go to an indy shop for that? And, are the bypass valves something the dealer would regularly check when I bring the Audi in for its regular services?

Thanks for your answers, April. I totally want to be you when I grow up(*) - you are so smart!

(*)You're probably younger than me, but you know what I mean!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Thanks

Only If Audi was the Helpful

Quick Reply: Audi and Reliability Part Two