A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Audi's not holding their value?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi's not holding their value?

Is it just me or do audi's lose their value faster than any other european 'luxury' car brand. case on point: my 2001 a4 1.8T quattro 5spd with 70k on the clock has been on the market for 3 months now, and i have only gotten a total of 2 phone calls about it and the best offer i received has been for $12200! I have it listed at 13k (down from original listing of 13.5K). Or is it just me and $12200 is the best i can expect to get?
I guess this is more than a rant than an actual question but I don't know whether audi doesn't hold it's value well or whether no one wants to spend money on these cars. BTW, i'm in north carolina if that has any impact on the price.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:12 PM

Yes and yes.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You expect more from a 3rd previous generation design w/ 70K miles?

I wouldnt offer anythig more then $8K for that car, sorry. Theres only a billion other Audi's with that many miles available for less. Facts-o-life my friend, sorry. If you can get over $10K for that car, sell it before someone comes to their senses, seriously.

I'm not trying to ball bust but I hardly think of a "Luxury" automobile with any generation A4.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 PM

Default 01 w/ 70K may have stigma attached to potential buyers

That's a bit more than average miles for that year. Given the turbo longevity as well, a potential buyer may continue looking at lower mileage models, which are generally readily available on the market. Also 02 B5's got some decent upgrades including HP, making them more desirable on the market.

Audi's have had traditionally higher depreciation anyway, due to perceived market image among other factors. It sucks to be a seller, but for buyers, you can get a lot of car for the money.

That's just my .02...

----------------------
Old 04-28-2005, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Greatly Depends......

Overall, Audis get hit because maintenance costs are high and they get so-so reliability ratings.
The demand gets more specific in different areas(mountains, or high income, bad weather). In the case of the A4, wagons seem to bring more as does the more modern version(99.5-01). Color matters just as much as condition. Most people would like to think there car is perfect but there is always one out there that is better. Once you break to 10k mark for a used car, there are far less individuals out there ready to put that much for a 4dr sedan. Plus, there is alot of competition out there.
Quattros(unlike other cars) tend to sell better in the winter. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Audi's not holding their value?

On April 13 there was a 2001 A4 1.8T 66k auto sport package that sold on ebay for $13k.

So I am sorry to say those offers you are getting seem realistic.

Buy your next Audi, or most any car for that matter slightly used.

Best of luck.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey "Homebrew" isn't this a great forum!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hit that bid!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's just after tax time, it's still Spring, the car has a lot of miles and as CL points out, is now

several generations old. That doesn't mean it's a bad car, it's just not going to bring the most money, given those circumstances. With so many coming off lease these days, people can afford to cherry pick.

Many banks charge a higher interest rate once cars hit around 60K miles, since the cars usually aren't under warranty and it's a slightly greater risk the car won't last the term of the loan. Some people don't want the risks associated with a high mile luxury car, simply because if they are looking in that lower price bracket, they can't afford any large expensive problems.

KBB says your car is worth around $13K in a private party sale. Edmunds says it's worth around $10K. I don't know what options your car has, but for a car to go through 3 body style changes and 70K miles and still be worth approx 50% of original value, isn't bad at all. $12,200 is pretty good, given the time of year and the fact the new B7 just came out. To finance your car over 48 months, most people are going to be paying in the low to mid $300 range. For not much more and you can lease a brand new A4. Granted, it will be more basic, but it's new and it has a warranty.

FYI, a 2001 BMW 325xi cost another $4 to $5K more than the Audi when comparably equipped new, and edmunds says it now sells for around $15K.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Audi's not holding their value?

Actually, there are several European brands that depreciate just as hard as or harder than Audi. They include: Jaguar, Land Rover, Sterling, Opel, Saab, Volvo and some VWs. A vast majority of American cars (Cadillac, Lincoln, Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, to name a few) and some Asian cars (Hyundai, Daewoo, Kia, Suzuki, to name a few), generally depreciate harder than Audi.

Quick Reply: Audi's not holding their value?