A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Auto Transmission Slippage

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission Slippage

Today I experienced some transmission hesitation/slippage that I find disturbing. I put the transmission in neutral, coasted and then braked to a stop. I then put the transmission back into drive and pressed on the gas. At this point the engine revved (I did not punch it)and then banged into gear. Normal movement through the gears otherwise. I also occasionaly get something similar when in reverse going to drive.

Do a transmission fluid and filter change, or is something more sinister afoot?

On a side note, the transmission output flange seal is leaking, but that should not be a cause for transmission slippage as it filled with gear lube, correct?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can do the fluid/filter change (follow the manual's instructions) and see if that fixes the issue. Cheap first step.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem for a few months when I first bought my '00 A6 Avant. I think that due to my hard driving I may have liquified the fluid a bit from heating. I'm not sure but it's fine now. I'll be changing the fluid before I sell the car when I get back home next year.

I would definitely recommend the fluid and filter change. Its cheap, easy, and at this age the transmission should definitely get new fluid.

That all said, I did a lot of searching and found a program called Lemmiwinks ( Unitronic does the same things and the program looks a little better ).

I changed the idle torque additive offset to 20 and the idle speed additive offset to 10. This has amazingly completely gotten rid of the acceleration delay caused by the drive by wire throttle and given me quite a bit more torque off the line. Now even with the Air conditioning on full it accelerates smoothly to speed with no discernible dead spot like it had before. No delay when shifting down to pass (1/4 throttle to drop two gears!).

Also upped the speed limiter (that limiter got a little frustrating on the trip cross country)

Lastly I changed the timing by one degree but I don't think that affected anything as it automatically adjusts with the anti-ping sensor and fuel grade. One degree isn't much either.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reponses. I will do the transmission filter & fluid change and see if it helps.

I am looking at the Blauparts kit at:

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=F2A1007%2DB

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting, do you know if VAG K+CAN can do the trick?

Originally Posted by frankinstyn
That all said, I did a lot of searching and found a program called Lemmiwinks ( Unitronic does the same things and the program looks a little better ).

I changed the idle torque additive offset to 20 and the idle speed additive offset to 10. This has amazingly completely gotten rid of the acceleration delay caused by the drive by wire throttle and given me quite a bit more torque off the line. Now even with the Air conditioning on full it accelerates smoothly to speed with no discernible dead spot like it had before. No delay when shifting down to pass (1/4 throttle to drop two gears!).

Also upped the speed limiter (that limiter got a little frustrating on the trip cross country)

Lastly I changed the timing by one degree but I don't think that affected anything as it automatically adjusts with the anti-ping sensor and fuel grade. One degree isn't much either.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the paid version but the free version that I have cannot do all of it. Certainly not raise the speed limiter.

Truth be told, I simply didn't want to put down $300 for the throttle chip (I forgot what it was called but all it does is amplify the signal to the throttle body to eliminate the dbw delay). I also didn't want to buy the tip-chip as I don't use the tiptronic feature very often.

This way only took about 5 minutes of install (faster if the cable driver is already installed) and 30 seconds to apply.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good, complete kit.

Originally Posted by 2000_A6_2.8_Avant
Thanks for the reponses. I will do the transmission filter & fluid change and see if it helps.

I am looking at the Blauparts kit at:

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail....od=F2A1007%2DB

Any other suggestions?