A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Automobile article, (RS 6 vs M5 vs S-Type R vs E55 AMG), I would definitely get the RS 6...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automobile article, (RS 6 vs M5 vs S-Type R vs E55 AMG), I would definitely get the RS 6...!!!

OK yes, I have a biased opinion because I'm an Audi fan. But when reading this article by Georg Kacher, I was amazed that even HE chose the M5. When discussing the Audi, he says that the RS 6 is "blindingly fast", and that the M5 "can't match RS 6's traction and ultimate grip". OK, let's summarize: The Audi is faster and has better grip, yet when it comes down to the final vote, Kacher says about the M5 that "Such cars as these are about more than numbers; they're also about sensations, emotions, and confidence".

Hmmm. Now that's an interesting statement. For years all we would hear is that the M5 is the fastest thing with 4-doors, yadda, yadda, yadda. But suddenly, when Audi produces a driving machine that's faster (4.3 vs 4.8 to 60mph); now it's about "more than numbers". Why now...??? Call me crazy, but as far as I'm concerned, my "sensations, emotions, and confidence" would be greatest with the faster/better-griped automobile.

Afraid to break away from the "norm", huh Georg...???

Finally, what's with the M5 taking 15.4 seconds to get from 30-70 mph...??? It appears that if you pull up next to a M5 at 30 mph with either of these other 3 entries, it's not even a contest...!!!
Old 11-13-2002, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Automobile article, (RS 6 vs M5 vs S-Type R vs E55 AMG), I would definitely get the RS 6...!!!

You're preaching to the choir here, of course we would like the RS6, we're Audi enthusiasts.

In my opinion, the reason why it previous M5 tests where about the numbers is because the M5 didn't have any competition until now. With the release of the RS6, the M5 has direct competition, and from a white paper standpoint, the RS6 wins, but in that author's opinion, the subjective won out over the numbers. Pure and simple, he liked driving the M5 better than the RS6.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:38 PM

Default Auto vs. Manual

Usually, the "30-70" tests are sometimes considered "top gear accelleration" (see Car & Driver). The manual M5 would remain in 6th gear, while the auto RS6 would be free to downshift. These tests are sometime "apples and oranges". Not having read the test results, I could be way off. They may have held the RS6 in top gear using tiptronic. Would be worth checking out to confirm.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is it just me or as anyone else wondered...

If the RS6 is still second best to the M5 (according to all these magazines), what will happen when the new 'improved' M5 comes out?

Sorry but if Audi can only match a dated BMW design, how are they going to compete with the new M5?

Im not a bmw fan, but the facts are there.

please dont hate me. =)
Old 11-13-2002, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah ive seen this with recent tests of the new lambo...

other automatics seemed to have faster 30-70mph times because of the top-gear accel that you mentioned.

everything is subjective in these tests.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Not facts. Opinions.

According to his own article, the "facts" are that the RS 6 out-performs the M5. I believe that no matter what Audi comes out with, some of these writers will always pick the M5. As with this article, they'll say that regardless of all the numbers and compliments, they'll prefer "driving" the M5.

Simply put: BMW is always the winner.

...and if one of these writers actually get up the nerve to select an Audi over a BMW, I recommend a random drug test...
Old 11-13-2002, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah i guess i oversimplified...good point.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:03 PM

Default Exact-o-mundo

opinions are like .... well whatever they say. Besides, unless you're like orangemarlin with a garage full of cars, you're just going to pick a BMW or Audi and drive it all the time and love it, so who gives a nut.

And FWIW, this BMW comparo test domination has started to crack recently. R&T picked the G35 over a 3 Series, and the Brit mag Top Gear picked the new Saab 9-3 over a 3 Series. Even the article writers make a big deal out of not picking a BMW for a change.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:12 PM

Default Very true; what happens when the new M5 comes out......

horsepower and ultimate grip is a lot more obtainable than creating a the perfect balance and feel of a sports car. Personally, I do not care about a few tenth of a sec; I will gladly trade that for better driving involvment and experience. Hey, just look at the new turbo Neon that will run to 120mph in 20 secs( that is amazing) and will run to 100in 13.9sec, faster than any Audi other than the RS6. But does it automatically become the king of the pocket rocket??? no, I would rather take a RSX, WRX, or Mazdaspeed Protege before I consider the neon.

Audi A6 is a excellent family sedan, and in the 2.7 and 4.2 are very good sporty sedan but it is not a good base for the ultimate sedan like the M5. If you drive one you will understand; I am not trying to put Audi down because my last two cars are Audi's and will likely to choose Audi's over BMW unless I can afford more than two cars. I buy Audi's for what they are and not what some of you in the forum wanted to be. In sum, no one car can do all things. Audis are more pratical, better value, and better interior by most standard but if I am in the market a sports sedan without considering value and roominess I would definitely choose the BMW 530 over my 2.7
Old 11-13-2002, 01:15 PM

Default We legitimately hate you. Keith and AVDH before him have good points on this issue.

I am hoping these evaluation injustices eventually resolve themselves as more and more contenders emerge to challenge those BMWs. Right now it feels like an Olympic ice skating competition... no mater how good you are, the judges have already decided amongst and within themselves who the gold medal will go to.

Quick Reply: Automobile article, (RS 6 vs M5 vs S-Type R vs E55 AMG), I would definitely get the RS 6...!!!