A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Auxiliary Coolant Pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxiliary Coolant Pump

So I have a pretty good idea that my Auxiliary Coolant Pump needs to be changed. I can smell coolant when I shut down the engine and I can see a pink buildup on the passenger side top end of the motor, kind of where the trans meets the motor. I have been searching around to find out how much one of those costs and if it is viable for me to do it on my own, but I cant seem to find the part online? Is it me? This isnt changed when they do the timing belt/water pump is it?
Old 02-05-2010, 12:01 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Aux coolant pump is under the intake runners...And it absolutely sucks to do!

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1116
Old 02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

To be a little more specific, you have to lift the intake manifold--once you do that, it's 2 hoses and an electrical connector. On the 2.7T, you have to undo ~30 vacuum/intake connections, then unbolt the manifold. Care, patience, and good labels are in order, but it's all on top of the car and not rusted/heavy/greasy work. I broke a plastic vac T/valve and had to run out an buy one, but otherwise went OK. Avoid doing this job under time pressure, but it's more in the long and annoying class than outright hard or one-nut-takes-3-hours class. Bentley helps.

If you do this job and maybe timing belt, you'll feel like the 2.7 is "yours"--all that plumbing reduces to something you know, and you can tackle it like more pedestrian (and n/a) cars. So while there may be a reserved spot in a hot place for the engineer who located the coolant pump there to save $0.50 worth of hose, you can get the better of (adjective) Fritz and feel like you really accomplished something.

But shame on VAG for letting this part be such a common failure.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why not check out my write-up in the Tech Section and see if you're up to doing the job yourself. It should give you pretty good idea of what's involved. Another contributor a couple of years or so ago gave an account of replacing the pump without removing the manifold, but that would of course mean that the replacement is somewhere other than its original placement. Since doing mine a few years ago I haven't encountered any problems. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rocketman4321
To be a little more specific, you have to lift the intake manifold--once you do that, it's 2 hoses and an electrical connector. On the 2.7T, you have to undo ~30 vacuum/intake connections, then unbolt the manifold. Care, patience, and good labels are in order, but it's all on top of the car and not rusted/heavy/greasy work. I broke a plastic vac T/valve and had to run out an buy one, but otherwise went OK. Avoid doing this job under time pressure, but it's more in the long and annoying class than outright hard or one-nut-takes-3-hours class. Bentley helps.

If you do this job and maybe timing belt, you'll feel like the 2.7 is "yours"--all that plumbing reduces to something you know, and you can tackle it like more pedestrian (and n/a) cars. So while there may be a reserved spot in a hot place for the engineer who located the coolant pump there to save $0.50 worth of hose, you can get the better of (adjective) Fritz and feel like you really accomplished something.

But shame on VAG for letting this part be such a common failure.
Which is worse Timing Belt or Aux Coolant? I mean I've done the coolant pump, is the TB harder?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Truewit
Why not check out my write-up in the Tech Section and see if you're up to doing the job yourself. It should give you pretty good idea of what's involved. Another contributor a couple of years or so ago gave an account of replacing the pump without removing the manifold, but that would of course mean that the replacement is somewhere other than its original placement. Since doing mine a few years ago I haven't encountered any problems. Good luck.
If you have anything resembling a normal human hand, the pump is impossible without lifting the runners....I think this person in question hired child labor!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did the timing belt a year and a half ago -- the aux coolant pump is a snap by comparison. Timing belt didn't give any major problems, but it's a much more complex and lengthy procedure
Old 02-06-2010, 10:39 AM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Truewit
I did the timing belt a year and a half ago -- the aux coolant pump is a snap by comparison. Timing belt didn't give any major problems, but it's a much more complex and lengthy procedure
Cool thanks....Saves a lot of money though!