A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Avant high mount stop lamp (LED unit)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Exactly. The std part is like $63 but IIRC the LED is ~135.

Originally Posted by 501D22G
whats the hmmm?

hesitation to pay that much to replace it?
I'd probably try to disassemble the existing part and replace with LEDs.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderHammer
Can i ask how you ended up resolving this? I'm in the same boat and $132 is not acceptable

Thanks
Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
I'd probably try to disassemble the existing part and replace with LEDs.
To answer your question, I bit the bullet on this repair and just bought one for $132 or whatever it was at the time.

If memory serves, I finally got tired of the error message on the dash (in addition to not being happy with only 2/3 brake lights - tailgaters are merciless where I live) and, I was leaving soon on a big road trip. I had not the time to tinker with it. I believe it was a Lambo shop somewhere that had the part. They had it in stock online, but I called and talked to a real nice agent who could guarantee me it would go out UPS Ground that same day. The time-in-transit from that zip to my zip code was 1 day. I got it the next day, installed it in 30 seconds, stuffed the family and dogs in the car, and left.

Ordinarily, I would have attempted a fix, but with many things DIY, you win some, you lose some. If you save timing belt $$$$ you can spend LED lamp $. Just skip your next 4-5 meals dining out, eat in instead - it's paid for.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default What I really want is an active laser CHMSL...

Originally Posted by 501D22G
To answer your question, I bit the bullet on this repair and just bought one for $132 or whatever it was at the time.

If memory serves, I finally got tired of the error message on the dash (in addition to not being happy with only 2/3 brake lights - tailgaters are merciless where I live) and, I was leaving soon on a big road trip. I had not the time to tinker with it. I believe it was a Lambo shop somewhere that had the part. They had it in stock online, but I called and talked to a real nice agent who could guarantee me it would go out UPS Ground that same day. The time-in-transit from that zip to my zip code was 1 day. I got it the next day, installed it in 30 seconds, stuffed the family and dogs in the car, and left.

Ordinarily, I would have attempted a fix, but with many things DIY, you win some, you lose some. If you save timing belt $$$$ you can spend LED lamp $. Just skip your next 4-5 meals dining out, eat in instead - it's paid for.

Good luck.

Something on the order of the M2-mounted dazzlers used in the sandbox…a high powered green laser that warns the camel jockeys they're being targeted before four or five .50BMG rounds opens up their car bomb.

I would envision it as a radar-operated light bar that would operate when the closing velocity of a rear-approaching vehicle indicated collision….or when the vehicle is within 5 feet of my rear bumper, whichever comes first.

As a stopgap, how about the rapidly blinking rear brake light(s) or adapters that are used on motorcycles…they flash brightly and rapidly when the bike brakes are on. OTOH, maybe those are just lights attracting moths to the flame!