A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Bad dealer experience (follow-up) with Classic Automobiles in Eastchester/Mr. Vernon, NY

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad dealer experience (follow-up) with Classic Automobiles in Eastchester/Mr. Vernon, NY

I posted a complaint earlier about failure of the dealer to supply me with the Immobilizer code for my own car. This is after I specifically asked for it on the work order and paid them an hour labour to program a new key (which I also purchased from Classic).

When I picked the car up they wouldn't give me the code (even though I specifically asked for it in the work order). At first, the service manager fed me some line about how the code "wouldn't work" and "changes every hour" and then he just said he couldn't give it to me. So I complained to Audi of America. They called the service manager and he wouldn't give the code to THEM either and claimed it was for "legal reasons." The AoA people were pleasant, but in the end they didn't offer any real help and seem to have little authority over the dealer (the AoA rep couldn't even tell me if the service manager was correct or not).

As a lot of you know, I'm an Audi/VW tech and wanted the code so I could program my own keys in the future. So they are saying that if you want a key programmed for your car, you HAVE to get it at a dealer. I believe that's illegal so I'll just ask for the refusal in writing and refer it to my attorney.

Avoid this dealer. No wonder I have so many Audi customers....sigh.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad dealer experience (follow-up) with Classic Automobiles in Eastchester/Mr. Vernon, NY

I live and work in Westchester and would like to use you for service on my 2004 A6 avant for things that are not covered by warranty. Where do you work?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:36 AM

Default I tried to get code also.

It appears as of last year or so they are using what is called gecko incription system. Thus the service tech never sees your code as well. The car has to be hooked up to get the code. It changes on a daily basis. Ross-Tech the vag com people say all you need is the one day code, the day it was pulled, workshop number and importer number. If you have these than you can reprogram you ECU, dashboard, or key. I called AOA and they said that it was up to the dealer to decide. We really need to get a ruling on this one.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default classic description of bad customer experience......where the dealer is behaving correctly.

as frustrating as it is to get a new key recoded, the dealer didn't create this procedure. the current method for recoding requires them to log on to the mother ships computer while your cars plugged in and code all the keys at once. the tech never sees the code and it changes the next time they log on. they isn't something they can write down and give you and really asking for this defines a pia customer....no offense to you.

this is a pia for them too but is a big improvement security wise for the customer/car and makes the bad guys who might want to steal it work that much harder. many of the bigger parts on the car will also carry this chip/code soon. it all the key parts aren't in sync....car will be rendered lame.

theft of these cars is a much bigger problem in europe than here and this is part of the system to stay one step ahead of the bad guys. soon those "german ebay" audi buys may not work and will be traceable by authorized service shops.

again it is frustrating for diy/indy techs but i'm glad they are doing this.....better hurry and buy that special rs6 carbonfiber bidet fast!!

cheers
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, if this is true, then the dealer did not convey the information correctly.

This dealer made it sound like he could, but simply would not, give up the code. You're saying that the dealer doesn't even have the code.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Codes expire daily so they are useless for future work...

you can not use the same code for future key programming on your car unless you do it the same day the code is issued.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default not many techs or service writers are great at 'xplainin' things.

and it's possible the what the service manager explained to me wasn't correct either or i didn't understand.

i have asked if i could watch them do this next month when i take my keys in. i'll describe what they do.

cheers
Old 02-28-2005, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not true. You simply must know the date that the code was made, as well as

the dealer number and importer number.

The actual data that gets passed to the car with the diagnostic tool is exactly the same as it was when the old four digit codes were used, and it does not change.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yup, and I have an Immobilizer II which uses the old 4 digit code anyway.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is all very interesting, but....

this is an older Immobilizer II system and they DO have the ability to see and pass along the code to the owner. I understand with Immobilizer III and future systems this may not be the case, but it is CERTAINLY the case for my car.

Cheers,