A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Bad news on my extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news on my extended warranty

When I bought my 4.2 back in April of '05, I read enough information here that an extended warranty was a good idea. I thought I did my homework, and wound up buying a warranty administered through American Guardian. Part of that homework was making sure one of the local Audi dealers would work with American Guardian, and the closest dealer said they had no issues with them.

Fast forward ~1.5 years. When I called the dealer today to make an appointment to get my leaky oil pan gasket and rear diff seal replaced, I mentioned I had an extended warranty. Turns out they no longer will deal with American Guardian. A call to the other local dealer came up with the same answer. The first dealer said they could do the work and I could submit the claim to the warranty company on my own and get reimbursed. But American Guardian won't reimburse for repairs they do not authorize, so if the dealer won't deal with them, there is no way to get authorization. Looks like my indie is the last shot. If not, I spent $2k for a worthless piece of paper.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What a disaster! but insurance that never pays = a super business...

until you need repeat customers...
Old 12-29-2006, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That sucks...well, if anything, you made me feel a bit better about buying the Audi Pure Protection

...which I bought at the dealership earlier this year. Even though administered by a third party, my understanding is that ALL Audi dealers accept this warranty.

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your woes. I hope you ge things fixed to your satisfaction, and under the terms of the warranty. Good luck!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you are going backwards...

most extendeds work like this:
Repair shop examines vehicle, then makes call to extended company. The company OK's the work according to the contract and gives a Credit card # with auth for that amount to the repair shop.

YOU need to read the contract and see how it works...get the details of whqat is covered and what is not. There are also clauses for you canceling it and getting a portion of your $ back.

You will probably be better off with an indy in terms of 'help'. Make sure gaskets are covered.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My extended (Extended Auto Warranty) works direct with my indy.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Gaskets are covered...

That is one of the items I looked for when I was researching warranties. My particular plan covers gaskets either as part of another required repair, or by themselves (if leaking, etc).

My problem here is that the local dealers won't deal with the warranty company AT ALL. So if they would look at the car and diagnose the problem, they won't call the warranty company to get authorization for repair. I could try to get reimbursed for something that is supposed to be covered, but I've seen many stories or people who have had no success when they did not get prior approval.

My indie is usually my first choice for repairs, but I've got a catalytic converter related CEL on right now, and wanted the dealer to have a look at it (I'm still under the 8/80k emissions warranty). So much for killing two birds with one stone.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ditto, and it's convenient for the dealership to refuse to "work with" other policies rather than

cooperate. It takes more administrative time for them, phone calls and such, so they just refuse. On the other hand, you call for authorization on a repair and you arrange it all and the dealership should not give a hoot what the name on a credit card is when they get paid. The insurer pays the agreed amount, you pay the difference in the form of any deductible or what not.
A way to show what you think is to take your business to a more flexible shop in the first place, and to actively participate in the process. My Gold Key policy will reimburse me if I pay the shop directly, too, for a claim authorized in advance. This way I relieve the shop of any headache and control the information flow so I get the best result - but it's more work for me. I actually saved the insurer a few hundred bucks doing this - mainly because the dealer was trying to rip them off by overcharging them more than I would pay directly! There's a reason dealers may not work directly with them.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Insurance co.'s always find a way to shaft their clients. It's as big a farce as gas prices.

They each have the most powerful lobbies and the "right people" in their pocket to keep it that way.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 AM

Default There's an art to dealing with extended warranty companies...

...and it needs to be your mechanic who's the artist. I had an interesting conversation with a smart one in Texas, who gave me several examples of how he always gets the warranty company to pay, some of which seem stupid ("the switch isn't BROKEN, which would imply that you broke it, instead he says it has "lost function", etc.). I'd call around to try to find a guy who's proud of getting these companies to pay, and then go there, you're lucky that you can drive your car a ways if need be...good luck!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 AM

I'd call the warranty company and ask them for recommended shops in your area.

Quick Reply: Bad news on my extended warranty