A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Is it bad to run turbos for a week or so with no engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to run turbos for a week or so with no engine oil?

Ha..now that I have your attention...Im not that stupid- really. First time poster, long time lurker and I have a question about my turbos and oil loss that I couldnt find by searching.

I recently had the Timing belt, Valve cover gaskets and Cam adjuster seals changed. My car was fine for a few weeks, then the turbos squealed (yea the drill noise), I lost power, and I thought they were going bad. Then the oil light came on..I was almost empty. I put my oil in and the turbos quieted down, and the boost seemed to return to normal. The tech said he might not have remembered to top off the oil.

Two weeks go by and I have the oil changed on schedule, no problem. Then the turbos start sounding up again. Three weeks later- light goes on..no oil. I pull to a gas station and they put three quarts of 10-30 regular in it.

The noise goes away..but now I am smelling fumes inside the cabin of the car when I am sitting still and idling.

I am not a mechanic, but from reading the posts on here, Im thinking that maybe the cam adjuster seals werent done right? How can I be losing oil at a quart a week or so and there be no oil on the ground when I pull out? How can the turbos go from quiet to drill noise to quiet again seemingly dependant on the oil level?

Help!!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How can you be losing that much oil and not SEE it?!?
Old 04-07-2006, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The cam adjusters would leak A LOT, but primarilly only when the engine is running.

I have the same problem now, not a drop of oil on the ground over night or at work, but I lost 1/2 quart in 2000 highway miles in 2 weeks. :/
Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No smoke out the exhaust?

No.radar is right, at that rate you should see the oil somewhere! Unless your burning it, keep an eye on your exhaust. That happened to me once where the oil light came on/drill sound/topped it off/sound gone/all good. Every time I started my car I was burning a small amount of residual oil that had leaked through the shaft seal. About a week later I popped my turbo. So get this straightened out & tread lightly..IMO I think your right about the cam seal(passenger side), you should be able to see the oil leak back there. I think a lot of people here have leaky cam seals (me included) but not that drastic.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is an engine probelm..turning into a turbo problem...

You are killing your engine and the turbos..slowly by not going back to the shop that did the original work. They screwed up something big time. And it was not due to "not topping off the oil" They did not assemble something that is causing an oil oss in the extreme..and as a result you are ramaging not only the turbos but probably the cylinder walls and rings as well.
I hope you paid by credit card and are ready to have a battle..

All my opinion..I could be 100% wrong.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think burning through 7 qts would be noticable through the exhaust, engine, anywhere....

Maybe your neighbors are stealing it at night.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Is it bad to run turbos for a week or so with no engine oil?

Just to clarify..I am not burning through 7qts. I am burning (i guess) about a quart or so a week.

Any suggestions on mechanics in the Lehigh Valley PA area? Thats easton PA /phillipsburg nj.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:04 PM

Yes, there is smoke coming from the exhaust..particularly when stopped and idling
Old 04-07-2006, 06:05 PM

By the way...I really like your setup (rims, smoked tailights) would love to see a mod list on car
Old 04-07-2006, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default call out to ex_pzKomandant on the allroad forum..

Hew owns an repair shop out ther and is an Audi driver and excellent at his craft.

Quick Reply: Is it bad to run turbos for a week or so with no engine oil?