A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

baffling trans. issue? '03 A6

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default baffling trans. issue? '03 A6

Good evening all, I'm not well versed in forums, so please bare with me.
I will start at the beginning of what seems to be a complicated situation. I saved an A6, 2003, from certain death at the hands of a crusher, confident I could sort out its ailments. I discovered it suffered from the sunroof drain problem, and consequently had a bad (very bad) tcm. I cleaned the drains, and they are working properly, I removed the carpet and dried it out, and replaced the TCM, the car seemed shift and drive well, or so I thought. when I put it in reverse, it sort of slams, and all the gear indicator lights and the dash come on. if I shut it off and start it up I can then shift it do drive and all goes well. after a few of these episodes, it will shift into reverse and drive normally, until the next day. I learned about repairing the wiring splices in the harness under the carpet, so I pilled it out again, and got out the trusty 'ol soldering gun. after doing all the splices I could find on the passenger side, there is still no change. I found a few splices that were a little crusty, but nothing that looked too bad. I was planning on doing all the splices, even on the drivers side, even though there seemed to be no water damage to the driver side components.
My question to you all is am I on the right track?? what is the term for when the trans goes into this "safety" mode? when all the selector lights are on, the trans. slips in forward gear, and will not shift. any ideas? any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I hope someones experience can shed some light on this, its a bit baffling to me. Thank you in advance to anybody that has input.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

It's a 13 year old car of uncertain provenance and you haven't dropped the pan and filter and changed the fluid?
Old 10-14-2016, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
It's a 13 year old car of uncertain provenance and you haven't dropped the pan and filter and changed the fluid?
I have not, I suppose you are right, that is easy enough to do, even if it has nothing to do with the problem, it's still a good idea. I got a vcds, I will scan it when I get home and see what it says. I will post findings. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Scan it first.

Originally Posted by Pj240z
I have not, I suppose you are right, that is easy enough to do, even if it has nothing to do with the problem, it's still a good idea. I got a vcds, I will scan it when I get home and see what it says. I will post findings. Thanks for the input.

Audi/VW call it Limp Mode. See if you have the codes related to incorrect gear ratio. Be warned the fluid change in these cars is not easy on the refill, there is a very specific procedure to follow using something like a Motive Products Power Fill, while you have the trans in gear and under load. How many miles and which engine?

Lots of documented ZF transmission issues with C5 cars with 150k+ miles. I have one myself, a 2000, 4.2 with the classic valve body issue that causes limp mode = (4th gear and reverse only). I already knew of the issue when i bought it, in the middle of the incredibly expensive swap now... and other work.

Name:  20160827_184715_zpsve0ua1ns.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  209.8 KB

Name:  20160827_193754_zps1avjaais.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  245.6 KB
Old 10-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much for the info, looks like you have a tremendous project there, quite ambitious! I have learned quite a bit about this issue since it began. I bought a vag-com setup, and thankfully it turned out to be the the multi function switch on the drivers side of the trans. I suppose I got lucky with this one. It may be a moot point now, but it is a 3.0 engine, and the car has 102k on the clock. I enjoy it very much, such s comfortable car. I will be installing the switch, cv axles, and motor mounts soon, then she should be good for a while I hope. The car was free, including the vcds, and the other parts I'm into it around $800 or so, not too bad.
About the trans. Service, it sounds like I should bring it somewhere for that, do I have to go to a stealership for that? Or a trans. Shop? What do you recommend? I'm very capable mechanically, and I have a lift, I have no reserves about doing it myself, as long as it's not too complicated. Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You should be able to do the trans service. Pretty straight forward. There are lots of posts here on how to do it.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if OP has a 4.2 or a V6 (3.0/2.7T). If you have a V6 the pressure regular valve in the 5HP19FLA is also a wear item. I would consider replacing it the same time you're dropping the pan.

Part# 5HP-19-PR (valve body removal not required)
TransGo 5HP-19-PR

Everything you want to know about the ZF 5HP19 transmission is here
(hope it's ok to link to other forum )

Tiptronic Information Thread *Updated & Revised* 2016

The pressure provided by the transmission fluid pump is controlled by a Pressure Regulator Valve. This valve is constantly regulating the pressure to the valve body from the pump. This valve is responsible for maintaining a certain amount of line pressure to the valve body to be used by the 6 actuators to modulate line pressure to engage and disengage each clutch pack.

This valve is a wear item, it is constantly regulating pressure and can/will fail. By itself, it will not throw a code. If you are experiences, harsh shifts, slow shifts, delayed shifts, banging shifts, slippage with code or slippage with no codes, over revving, or shift flare. Most likely this regulator valve is failing. There are many options to replace and upgrade this valve.

Last edited by Metronet; 10-28-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, great info.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts
Default This should be in tech info. First time I've seen it in 16 years.

Originally Posted by Metronet
Not sure if OP has a 4.2 or a V6 (3.0/2.7T). If you have a V6 the pressure regular valve in the 5HP19FLA is also a wear item. I would consider replacing it the same time you're dropping the pan.

Part# 5HP-19-PR (valve body removal not required)
TransGo 5HP-19-PR

Everything you want to know about the ZF 5HP19 transmission is here
(hope it's ok to link to other forum )

Tiptronic Information Thread *Updated & Revised* 2016