A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Battery dead cant get in to car

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
I'm sure this is a stupid & dangerous suggestion as can be, but somehow I can't stop myself from suggesting it?

Is it possible to jump-start the car from the starter solenoid (right behind the alternator under the passenger side of the car). Positive to starter, negative to the engine block somewhere..
I helped a guy in a parking lot with something like this.

Get jumper cables and attach the black to any metal. Attach the red to the big bolt on the starter motor. Hook the other ends up like you normally would.

That will provide power to the electrical system and you should be able to open the door with the remote.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most power locks work off of a vaccuum system.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Yar1
Most power locks work off of a vaccuum system.
You still need electricity to fire the solenoid valve.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by junior7577
Hello everyone.. Need your help here bad.
I have a 2002 Audi A6 2.7T. the key hole on door is broken, and my battery is dead. I cant open the car!!! I cant open using the trunk key hole because battery is to weak to open locks from doors,, I can access the trunk but cant get in to cabin...
Is there anyway to either open the hood to access battery,or a way to open the locks?
This might sound silly, but it may be cheaper than a locksmith and caertainly less than a new window...

... may sound dumb but it will work! lol

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If you use a coat hanger to hook the slot in the hood latch gizmo that you pull out to release the safety latch will this work?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if your fire department will come out - but they used to come out and put a wedge in the window with a jimmy bar and unlock doors for people who locked their keys inside. If they won't, I'd try using that strategy - wedge the window and slide a coat hanger or something down to try to pull the latch up?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol i like how you guys suggest putting a jumper on the positive lead on the starter. I just replaced one on a 2.7T car and uhhhhhh id love to know how your going to do that without service position, remove alternator, remove motor mount bracket ect....

Stop being cheap and call a locksmith already.Costs like 40$ for a lockout
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Additional thoughts.

I'd have a locksmith unlock the door. Then I would replace the door lock with one that fits the key you have. Or, at least have the locksmith make a key to fit the door lock you have. This way you will be ready when this happens again. Depending on the remote with no key back up is asking for it.

If you must break into the car I'd go for entering the truck as you have then forcing the seat back lock open. I don't have a wagon, but in the sedan the seat back lock might be cheaper. Plus, you may not have to replace it. Not like breaking a window.

Last edited by clancy; 10-10-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 10-10-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
You still need electricity to fire the solenoid valve.
True.

I DON'T suggest trying to unlock the door with a wedge and coat hanger.. this method is risky and hard todo. Plus you run the risk of snaging something else and causing more problems.. If you must though, use a tool called a slim jim (I dont even think a coat hanger will fit) and try it on the rear door first.

Locksmith is still probably your best bet!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
lol i like how you guys suggest putting a jumper on the positive lead on the starter. I just replaced one on a 2.7T car and uhhhhhh id love to know how your going to do that without service position, remove alternator, remove motor mount bracket ect....

Stop being cheap and call a locksmith already.Costs like 40$ for a lockout
Must be a 2.7T thing. The starter is very accessible from underneath on my 2.8 -- you can't slide it out with the alternator in place.. but there's nothing obstructing access to it from underneath.

Quick Reply: Battery dead cant get in to car