A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Battery Drain - Cause?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Drain - Cause?

I have a 2004 Audi A6 3.0L.

The other day I came out of work to find my car dead. I just heard the clicking noise of a dead battery. Since the battery hasn't been replaced in the 4 1/2 years I've owned it, figured it was time to replace it.

Had the battery replaced the next day. Drove it home and it sat overnight. Went out the next morning started it up and went over to a friends house and came back. No issues. This morning I went out to go to work and the battery was completely dead again.

We jump started the car and it purred to life after only a few minutes. Turned it off for a minute and could hear the noise something drawing on the battery. Started it back up and it drove it to work just fine. I set a time for an hour to go out and start it back up. However, while in my office I could still hear the whining noise of the battery being drawn on. Sure enough, within the hour the battery is drained to where it won't start.

I'm not sure what is causing the drain or where to even start looking. The radio is off, lights are off, and I've unplugged all chargers. Could it be a fuse of some sort? Any help you can provide is appreciated. I don't have the funds right now to spend on a mechanic so I need to DIY as much as possible.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just do a Google search such as chasing a car battery drain. You will find lots of tutorials. Or, since yours makes an audible sound start pulling fuses one at a time until the noise stops.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

You can use one of these to help isolate the drain.

Amazon Amazon

Video here:

Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you! This is a very helpful way to get started.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a hint. If you can hear a whirring or whining noise, it is most likely going to be a motor of some kind (fan, fuel pump, stuck power seat motor, etc. ). Have you tried running down the location of the noise? Of course like earlier suggested, in a quiet environment start pulling fuses one at a time till the noise stops. That will give you an answer. Concentrate on fuses for a motorized accessory.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM
PPH
AudiWorld Newcomer

Make a crude stethoscope out of some rubber tubing. Hold one end to ear and run the other around the engine compartment and under the dash (anyplace else motors might be) until you find the source. Then look for it's associated relay (probably stuck).