A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery question

It's getting colder & colder out & i'm starting to think my battery might be on the way out. About once a week I'll have a tiny bit of lag starting the car to when it actually catches & the engine fires up. It's not like a long 2 or 3 seconds or anything, but it feels different then normal. The stealership sent me a little discount card thing awhile back & one is I think 10 or 15% off a battery & another is a free battery test. When they test the battery is there any kind of print out I can ask to see to know it's actually bad and they are not just trying to sell me a battery? Also, probably won't buy from the stealership, but what's the longest lasting battery with the strongest charge (most cold cranking amps) that will fit in the stock battery spot for a 2002 2.7t a6?

I don't mind spending a few extra bucks now for a great long lasting real strong battery. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by acarney
It's getting colder & colder out & i'm starting to think my battery might be on the way out. About once a week I'll have a tiny bit of lag starting the car to when it actually catches & the engine fires up. It's not like a long 2 or 3 seconds or anything, but it feels different then normal. The stealership sent me a little discount card thing awhile back & one is I think 10 or 15% off a battery & another is a free battery test. When they test the battery is there any kind of print out I can ask to see to know it's actually bad and they are not just trying to sell me a battery? Also, probably won't buy from the stealership, but what's the longest lasting battery with the strongest charge (most cold cranking amps) that will fit in the stock battery spot for a 2002 2.7t a6?

I don't mind spending a few extra bucks now for a great long lasting real strong battery. Thanks!

best battery for the buck is that duralast red top one from autozone. its bigger better and cheaper. dont worry about names, theres only several battery makers, and the rest is just slapping different lables on them to differentiate the brands
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I Like the Interstate batteries. , use the oem specs for cranking amps and size.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

After looking at most of the good choices, I bought a Deka Exact fit AGM battery. Fits perfectly and seems to work perfectly.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NWS6
After looking at most of the good choices, I bought a Deka Exact fit AGM battery. Fits perfectly and seems to work perfectly.
i think AGMs are a waste of money in stock applications. i used them in racing when i needed to mount batteries upside down, in the trunk . near ignition sources etc.....
Old 11-30-2009, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

One opinion. I don't use them either. Here is a factual source:
http://www.dcbattery.com/agmtech.html
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if "better" means "waste" i agree.\

But they are lighter, require less maintenance, maintain acid in hot environments, have lower ESR.

I kinda wish i had bought one. I didnt.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS6
It mentions that some modification to tie downs might be required... that doesn't sound like direct fit... do you know a model number for one that for sure fits in a 2002 A6 2.7t Tip?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
best battery for the buck is that duralast red top one from autozone.
Definitely!

I've had mine in the car for 3 years without a glitch. Back then they did not sell one for the 2.7T, but I figured out that the 4.2 battery fits in the same place and the Audi engineers were nice enough to leave a bolt hole for the bigger battery. They must use the same sheetmetal on both. Bigger battery and if memory serves I paid like $60 for it! The dealership wanted over $300!

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Massboykie
Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by massboykie
Definitely!

I've had mine in the car for 3 years without a glitch. Back then they did not sell one for the 2.7T, but I figured out that the 4.2 battery fits in the same place and the Audi engineers were nice enough to leave a bolt hole for the bigger battery. They must use the same sheetmetal on both. Bigger battery and if memory serves I paid like $60 for it! The dealership wanted over $300!

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Massboykie
they make a "special" gold top battery for the 2.7 L its like 149.... get the red top, it is longer but there is a bolt hole already there for the bigger battery. its a better battery and cheaper. ill look up the model number

Quick Reply: Battery question