A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Best place to mount/plug in GPS device

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to mount/plug in GPS device

I want to get the Garmin nuvi 755T and I'm wondering whats the best option for mounting it and plugging it in on the 02' A6

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...933#featureTab

Suggestions/pics?

Thank you!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know how to "repost" in this stupid format, but STFA for "hardwired tomtom" to see my solution from October
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Pretty much the same as the old stupid format. Use html or bb code to post the link. Like this.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...rdwired+tomtom
Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that how to hardwire thread, that looks so simple. Have a preference for which circuit to plug in to?

I found this kit on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A4HAQ2

Another question... do you really like your gps to the left of the steering wheel? I think I'm gonna try the dash or window in the center, or possibly a a/c vent mount if i can find one. Have you tried those positions, what made you go to the left?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I seem to remember being limited in fuse choices. (My wife has the car tonight so I can't check it.) I do remember there are two sizes in the box, but I only bought one size of an "add a circuit" thingy from Pep Boys. I think I used the "electric sunshade" circuit (an option I don't have).

The main reason I chose left side so there would not be a long wire running across the dash. Much of my driving is around town and I leave the GPS in the glove box. When my GPS is hidden away, there is only a six inch piece of wire showing and that can be tucked into the corner easily. The fewer exposed wires, the better.

Plus mounting it on the left seemed closer to the driver.

I think your Amazon cable is priced near the one I bought on eBay.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:39 PM

I use a real simple solution with my Garmin Nuvi (which holds about an 8 hr charge)... typically run it in the car all charged.

I use the suction cup mount and simply place it forward of the shift selector in my S6 Avant. There's just enough room there to place the car in park; the GPS can get good enough signal there; I can plug it in via rear seat plug and run the cable up to the front when I need to and its quite readable at a glance. I like it being down below the dash. Not as slick as hardwired, but it sits there nicely and works quite well for me.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 AM
GBW
AudiWorld Super User

I hate the circle the suction cup puts on the windshield, so I set this up..

<a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714656">I set this up....</a>

I've since upgraded to a Garmin Nuvi, so I added a second Velcro strip to hold it securely in the cup holder.

Last edited by GBW; 03-29-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A bit to the left -

Originally Posted by Krisinu
Another question... do you really like your gps to the left of the steering wheel?
I have the 76o Nuvi

and I place mine on the left of the wheel as well. Personally, with the larger screen I found it to be a huge hassle trying to look around the GPS when it was placed anywhere else on the dash.

This model does have a different type of plug to it as its directly to the mount, not the unit itself which makes it very easy to just leave the mount on the windshield:

As crazy as it sounds, this Nuvi is kinda large to be honest, and with it in any other placement on the windshield, I was getting pretty frustrated with it. In the lower left, you can push it over pretty far and not worry about it messing with your field of view.

I still need to do the hardwire mod to it tho - I will admit that I hate the cord crossing all that real estate to plug it in.

GL w/ it!