A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

BIG Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG Problem!!

My clutch pedal is WIERD!!

When i give my car half to WOT the clutch pedal looses pressure and i have to pull and pump the clutch pedal it 2-4 times to go back.

Then when i brake it does too, but i just have to pull it back up when its stopped for it to be normal.

The clutch does not slip at all.

What could this be?? Something hooked up wrong, need to be bled, master/slave cylinder bad, new clutch? A few Audi mechniks i talked to have never heard of this problem.

Please help, the car is a 2000 A6 2.7T 6 Speed. Thanks guys
Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

check brake(hydraulic) fluid and see if your low, if so you have a leak
Old 12-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have not found / seen a leak and the fluid is full. A cracked open the bleeder and it was straight fluid. Any idea?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know off hand what the pedal arrangement looks like up underneath the dash, but is it possible that the pedal return spring is broken, or slipped off or something? Is that what you mean? Like, the clutch still works, but the pedal isn't returning to its top position?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

return spring? I will check to see if it has one. But it definitely looses pressure, sometimes it will stay at the floor and i have to pull it back up and pump it 3 times. And then it feels normal.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

That sounds strange because what your describing sounds like the clutch master cylinder is bad, but I'm curious why the pedal doesn't return to its normal position. There is supposed to be a spring of some kind that pulls the clutch pedal back up when you take your foot off. Please keep us posted.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by q2quest
That sounds strange because what your describing sounds like the clutch master cylinder is bad, but I'm curious why the pedal doesn't return to its normal position. There is supposed to be a spring of some kind that pulls the clutch pedal back up when you take your foot off. Please keep us posted.
no there is no return spring... hydraulic pressure returns pedal.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2.7Lturbo
no there is no return spring... hydraulic pressure returns pedal.
yea thats what i figured, but what is the most efficient way of bleeding it? Because there has got to just be a pocket of air in it or something. Still having the problem though, and i need to get it ready for my lady to drive. And and she already has a hard enough time driving a standard.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

If this problem happened suddenly you must have a failure in the clutch master cylinder. There is really no way for a bunch of air to suddenly enter the system. I would imagine this is not a huge expense. You can probably score either a used one or rebuilt one fairly reasonably. It shouldn't be too bad.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

my pedal did the smae thing when my slave went out.

Quick Reply: BIG Problem!!