A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

BIG problem! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG problem! Need help!

Hey Guys,

I have a 2001 A6 2.8L Quattro Vin after 2500.

Bought the car from a guy that had it running in poor condition with bad idle, sputtering and the works. He had it at 99K miles with no Timing Belt done. I changed the timing belt, water pump, thermo, pulleys, tensioners and serp. All w/o the audi tool (mad my own) car started up just fine after that. Had a CEL light that read an entire bank of cylinders misfiring and MAF sensor and the car would be slightly jerky in idle but 100% fine once accelerating. I changed the MAF sensor...same problem persisted. Drove from NYC to Enterprise, AL (approx 1500 miles) with the light on no issues. Ran the car that way for about 6 months. While down here at Fort Rucker the other day I hit a pot hole and my lower radiator hose popped out. When I took the bumper off and everything to reattach the hose I decided to set the timing with the Audi Tool to try and fix the CEL light ( i figured it was off a tooth from the previous symptoms).

Set the timing to TDC witht he crank ping and cam locking bar. Start the car up and it shakes violently. I had to move it(emergency) and as I drove it out the garage to the driveway all off a sudden the engine stopped. Now when I turn the key it doesnt even turn over.

Question: Does anyone have any idea what it might be? My guess is I bent my valves.
Question 2: Any other damage associated with bent valves?
Question 3: Is it worth bringing it to a shop? Or is it possible to do the repairs yourself?

Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help I can get!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if you had problem doing the timing belt, i wouldn't recommend rebuilding the heads yourself
Old 05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what do you mean its wont turn over. That's an electrical problem. Do you mean it won;t catch? You may have jumped time or bent valves, but it shoudl turn over quickly (no compresion) as you ruin more valves.

Explain.

G
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like ignition control module (or unit) failure?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Why would that cause it to not turn over?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes - first question is, what do you mean by "it won't even turn over"?

When you set the timing - was it off? How much? How did you set it? Have you ever pulled the cams or cam chain tensioner for any reason?

Next - I would buy a leakdown tester and test all of your cylinders. I wouldn't check compression because you don't want to do any more damage than you already may have.

If the timing was on, and a leakdown test goes well - and the engine is cranking and just not catching - I would then perform a compression test, test each spark plug for spark, and then check the fuel injectors....
Old 05-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by jseklund
Yes - first question is, what do you mean by "it won't even turn over"?
"Won't turn over" can only mean one thing IMHO. My questions would be: Can you turn it over by hand? Battery and starter OK?

Originally Posted by jseklund

Next - I would buy a leakdown tester and test all of your cylinders. I wouldn't check compression because you don't want to do any more damage than you already may have.
I agree...once he gets it turning again.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yupp, sounds like you damaged the valves or pistons

how did you set the engine to zero position and at the same time got it wrong?
Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
"Won't turn over" can only mean one thing IMHO. My questions would be: Can you turn it over by hand? Battery and starter OK?

I agree...once he gets it turning again.
I agree that that would be the proper interpretation - but I've heard people use that term for crank no start issues also....that's why I've asked for clarification. If it won't turn at all, then yeah - it sounds like an electrical issue. If it turns but won't start, it could be something else.

I'm not ready to jump to bent valves - we don't even really know if his timing was ever off; just that he thinks it might have been and was trying to correct the issue.

I think electrical, no spark, no fuel is more likely the issue.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
what do you mean its wont turn over. That's an electrical problem. Do you mean it won;t catch? You may have jumped time or bent valves, but it shoudl turn over quickly (no compresion) as you ruin more valves.

Explain.

G
Sorry I'm currently in Army Flight school, so I am short on time usually and didnt get a chance to answer.

I meant that when I turn the ignition key electrical systems are all fine, but there is no combustion in the chambers. The engine will not turn over...seems like it is seized. I've tried to start a few times and now the battery is dead. I did not try to turn it by hand.

Quick Reply: BIG problem! Need help!