A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A BIT OF BLUE EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A BIT OF BLUE EXHAUST

I noticed a bit of lite blue exhaust coming from my tailpipe when I first started my car, which I hadn't driven for about two days, after a long trip.

Someone mentioned to me that this might be because I have oil in my combustion chamber.

I hadn't really noticed this before, and after I got back home from a trip, let my car sit for about 24 hours, when I pulled away I saw about 2 tablespoons of oil on the ground, about 1.5 feet in from the right front wheel. Though I didn't see any exhaust problems.

Finally, right before the trip I had my oil changed. They mechanics, who I trust, said they hadn't seen any leaks, and I've been driving it very lightly.

Does anyone know if a bit of blue exhaust is normal? If I should be concerned? How I should resolve the issue? What to look for? Etc.

Any advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Sam Haldeman
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few things...

First... what year, engine, oil type and how many miles do you have?

If you noticed oil on the ground, then you it is almost certain you have a leak. I have a couple leaks now that Audi is fixing under warranty next week... oil pan gasket, turbo return lines and I am going to see if they can do the cam seals again while they are in there (all common). I think the only actual leak noticable on the ground (a few small spots on the driveway over the last 2 weeks) is from the oil pan. I also have a leak by the differential they are doing.

Although I have really not noticed it on this car, I have noticed a bit of smoke on many of my cars (even newer) after they sat for a week or so. Nothing to worry about really IMHO unless you see it when getting hard on the throttle, etc.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a little blue at start up is ok... but a lot of blue under load= wallet raping...

especially if it had been sitting for a while
Old 07-31-2006, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Smoke at start up = valve stem seals

Most likely. Pull spark plugs. One is likely more oil fouled if this has been going on for a while.

How do I know? My 4.2 does it too. I found it happens when I park uphill much more (#7 cylinder, toward the back). Thus I park level and back into my driveway whenever possible. Long term fix is to chane the seals, but that's a big job for a tiny part. Will do when I change the timing belt, which has to come off to do it anyway.

The oil on the ground may be a separate leak.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what motor?

- occasional smoke on startup normal on 4.2
- unheard of on others
- except in exceptional circumstances

Grant
Old 08-03-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Re: A few things...

First of all, THANKS a bunch to all the responses, I just got back online and able to read 'em.

I have a 2002 A6 2.7t, 68K miles. This car is awesome, my first. Bought it when it had 66,500 miles on it. Great condition.

An update... the oil might not have been from me. I park in a specific spot, and since I've posted last week, I have not seen any oil spots on the ground. So I'm starting to think someone was using my spot while I was on vacation.

I drive the car minimally. And when I do, I generally don't exceed 3500 rpm. Sometimes when I'm pulling out of somewhere I'll speed up quickly, but not too much. I don't drive to work, rather I really only drive on long trips and on city miles in the evening - so stop and go wear is light.

Haven't noticed any blue smoke as of late, but I'll keep it parked for a few days now to test that theory.

Also, the person who I bought it from (private seller, though seeemingly very reputable) said one thing he did was let it idle in park for about 30 seconds after a long drive-- to let the oil drain from the pistons. Any thoughts on that one?

And finally, although it's not in the topic/subject, but I've been assuming its normal to hear the engine a bit more when I first start it up in the morning. It stays at about 1400 rpm for 15 seconds, then 1100 rpm for about another 20 or so, then back down to the normal idle 400-500 rpm.

Again, thanks.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Re: A BIT OF BLUE EXHAUST

First of all, THANKS a bunch to all the responses, I just got back online and able to read 'em.

I have a 2002 A6 2.7t, 68K miles. This car is awesome, my first. Bought it when it had 66,500 miles on it. Great condition.

An update... the oil might not have been from me. I park in a specific spot, and since I've posted last week, I have not seen any oil spots on the ground. So I'm starting to think someone was using my spot while I was on vacation.

I drive the car minimally. And when I do, I generally don't exceed 3500 rpm. Sometimes when I'm pulling out of somewhere I'll speed up quickly, but not too much. I don't drive to work, rather I really only drive on long trips and on city miles in the evening - so stop and go wear is light.

Haven't noticed any blue smoke as of late, but I'll keep it parked for a few days now to test that theory.

Also, the person who I bought it from (private seller, though seeemingly very reputable) said one thing he did was let it idle in park for about 30 seconds after a long drive-- to let the oil drain from the pistons. Any thoughts on that one?

And finally, although it's not in the topic/subject, but I've been assuming its normal to hear the engine a bit more when I first start it up in the morning. It stays at about 1400 rpm for 15 seconds, then 1100 rpm for about another 20 or so, then back down to the normal idle 400-500 rpm.

Again, thanks.