A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Black Headlights vs smoked headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Headlights vs smoked headlights

Just wondering, I am looking at the following set of headlights

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_9139wt_948

and am not sure if I'll be all set in NH. The reason being if smoked is the same as the case being black. I am not sure ifghere is a difference?!? And I know smoked HL are not passable in NH.

Thanks boys.

Emanuel
Old 01-02-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

I would argue they're not the same...the headlight cover is clear.

You won't know until you try to get it passed.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would say you should be alright.... some cars come with black housing stock
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SirDude
Just wondering, I am looking at the following set of headlights

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_9139wt_948

and am not sure if I'll be all set in NH. The reason being if smoked is the same as the case being black. I am not sure ifghere is a difference?!? And I know smoked HL are not passable in NH.

Thanks boys.

Emanuel
Wow! Those look very nice! I'm wondering how hard those would be to install and how bright those LEDs are. Wonder if they're anything like the stock LED running lights on new Audi's? I'm also wondering if you can still use your fog lights and brights and LEDs and everything or if the day time running LED lights replace the fog or something when it comes down to the wiring. Those lights REALLY look nice and I may need to pick them up when I replace my HID bulbs.

I've always wondering with finding professional installation, would I try to talk to a body shop that does tinting and repair of dents and crash damage and stuff or should I take it to the guy I use for engine/transmission work and stuff like that. Without instructions I don't want to take it to someone that isn't going to know any more then I would when installing and wiring it up...

(Richland, Washington but if this would be a simple one or two hour job I would head as far away as Spokane area in Eastern Washington state if anyone can really recommend a good independent for this type of job)
Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the install is relatively easy. I think there are 3 tork screws on the stop and 3 nut screws on the bottom. if anything I can send you the bentley instruction on how to remove the headlight. If you need professional install then bring it to dent repair place. or any garage should be able to do the same.

as for the headlights. the LEDs will be on when the yellow lights are ON on your car. no idea about brightness of the LEDs but if they are legal I will find out and let you know. As for the wiring the LED are wired in with the Yellow lights(side markers) of your car. your Hi and Low Beams should still work the same. the Fog Lights (the small lights on the bottom of the bumper) should still be the same. I am just wondering if the wiring is going to be the same. I mean its OEM replacement, but Ill have to check the plugs tomorrow to see if its just plug and play or if there is more, because I am sure that the plastic holders the bulbs sit in and that then fit into the housing will be specific for this unit.

I mean if the new A8 has a black housing unit
https://www.audiworld.com/news/09/20...-design-miami/

then this after market should be all set as well since the lens is clear.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2 torx screws on the top, one about 6" below a circular hole on top of the core support or fender. pretty complicated to explain, and you'll likely damage the headlights or the *other* mounting tab inboard at the bottom of each light. be careful or remove the front bumper, and make sure you find some good instructions. there's a pretty good writeup in the tech section or something that i used to remove mine when i removed the corner reflectors and cleaned up the lenses.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

could you possible point me to this article in the tech discussion area?!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I stumbled across it and i don't remember how to get to it. I hate when people tell me to do a search, but in this instance, it only makes sense. or just take the bumper off and it will be a lot easier and more clear.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts

For $302 the pair I gotta question the quality. If that price includes the H7 halogen high bulb and the HID bi–xenon element, it's probably worth the risk.

Buy it and let us know how it works out! Pics would be good too....
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think it includes any bulbs for that price... I figure if it's OEM fit it should fit the bulbs we have in our cars already, right? I've got stock HID in mine (D2S I think, low is HID and high beam is a normal halogen). I REALLY want to get these for the car but I don't have any problem with my lights at all right now and need to check on the cost of install.

To the original poster, I would LOVE if you could send me the tear down Bentley guide for removing the bumper or for changing out the headlights, that would be a HUGE help!

Also, if you do buy these, could you please post a review of how you like them and maybe a picture or two of them on the car and the LEDs on, we'll at least be able to compare the brightness of the LEDs to the amber turn/running lights!

THANKS!