A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Blauparts Valve Cover Gasket Kit - Is it me or the kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blauparts Valve Cover Gasket Kit - Is it me or the kit?

There was a little smoke coming from the passenger-side of the engine. Dealer diagnosed a valve cover gasket leak. I ordered the Blaupart gasket kit. Following the brilliant tech write-up, I replaced both valve cover gaskets and the cam chain tensioner gaskets (half moon and the key). I also replaced replaced the Spider hose and installed a new vented oil filler cap.

Both sides smoked like a barbecue grille! Blaupart was kind enough to send me a new set of gaskets for free. But I decided to reinstall the first (new) set of gaskets because they looked fine. Same thing, lots of smoke!

I thought it could be that my Harbor Freight torque wrench is not as precise as one that costs a gazillion dollars from Sears because reviews on the wrench indicated it may be accurate +/- 2 lbs. So I increased the torque to 9 and re-tightened the valve cover gasket nuts. This time there was just a little, but consistent smoke from both sides.

Is it the kit; the torque wrench; or perish the thought, ME? Or is a little smoke expected for the first # of miles after gasket replacement?

Would someone in the Ashburn, Virgina area be willing to lend a (paid) hand turning a wrench? Thank you.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use RTV at the corners and leave it for a while, to let it cure? Have a look at my recent thread on that topic.

Can you see exactly where it's leaking from?

The 2 easiest ways to mess up the gasket installation are the corners and the V-shaped part that goes between the chain tensioner and the bearing cap (at the back on the passenger side, front on the driver's side).

If you've got smoke on both sides I bet it's the corners.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by divil
Did you use RTV at the corners and leave it for a while, to let it cure? Have a look at my recent thread on that topic.

Can you see exactly where it's leaking from?

The 2 easiest ways to mess up the gasket installation are the corners and the V-shaped part that goes between the chain tensioner and the bearing cap (at the back on the passenger side, front on the driver's side).

If you've got smoke on both sides I bet it's the corners.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Yes, I used RTV on the corners and the v-shaped part. However, I'm not sure if I put too much or too little or if there is a sweet spot that I am missing in the corners/v-shaped part.

Both times she sat a few days before I started the engine.

I can't see exactly where the smoke is coming from but it looks like the bottom of both valve covers.

I'll look at your thread and if I may, contact you directly with any questions.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Esquire6
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my post.

Yes, I used RTV on the corners and the v-shaped part. However, I'm not sure if I put too much or too little or if there is a sweet spot that I am missing in the corners/v-shaped part.

Both times she sat a few days before I started the engine.

I can't see exactly where the smoke is coming from but it looks like the bottom of both valve covers.

I'll look at your thread and if I may, contact you directly with any questions.

Yep feel free to contact me directly.

I have never seen smoke coming directly from the valve covers themselves - when I've seen it, it's always been because oil drips onto the exhaust or the heat shield...something that gets hot enough to burn the oil. It can be hard to track it down, but if you clean the edge of the valve covers, and clean underneath below the lip, then run the car for a while, and let it cool down, you should then be able find where the fresh oil is leaking from with your hand.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep feel free to contact me directly.

I have never seen smoke coming directly from the valve covers themselves - when I've seen it, it's always been because oil drips onto the exhaust or the heat shield...something that gets hot enough to burn the oil. It can be hard to track it down, but if you clean the edge of the valve covers, and clean underneath below the lip, then run the car for a while, and let it cool down, you should then be able find where the fresh oil is leaking from with your hand.
It's "wisping" smoke from the bottom of the valve covers. I did/could not find any visible signs of oil leaking.

Maybe the third time is a charm. What gaskets (kit) did you use?

I just found a Victor Reinz set. I'll do a little more research. I found the brand from ECS Tuning's web site as they sell a Victor Reinz sealant with their kit.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's "wisping" smoke from the bottom of the valve covers. I did/could not find any visible signs of oil leaking.

Maybe the third time is a charm. What gaskets (kit) did you use?

I just found a Victor Reinz set. I'll do a little more research. I found the brand from ECS Tuning's web site as they sell a Victor Reinz sealant with their kit.
I used Blauparts first, then Victor Reinz for the replacement. I can't remember what brand Blauparts send me originally, it might have actually been the same.

One other thing that I did was to clean out the pvc outlet on the valve cover - even though I had replaced my plastic pvc hoses already, the outlet on the valve cover was blocked up.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I used Blauparts first, then Victor Reinz for the replacement. I can't remember what brand Blauparts send me originally, it might have actually been the same.

One other thing that I did was to clean out the pvc outlet on the valve cover - even though I had replaced my plastic pvc hoses already, the outlet on the valve cover was blocked up.
Thank you. Surprisingly, the pvc outlets were clean and clear but my old spider hose was blocked. Off to source a Victor Reid kit. Hopefully I'll be smoke free next weekend.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Somke and leaky VCGs

Black RTV on the corners (enough to squeeze a little out) about an inch up and maybe 2 inches across, both sides of the gasket and don't worry about the 'V' area. That seals without the RTV. Make sure to let it cure at least 24 hours.

Look at divil's post. He went through the same deal and so did I.

I used a Mizumo kit for $24.99 on ebay. Works great. Both inner and outer gaskets. Good luck
Old 10-20-2012, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Black RTV on the corners (enough to squeeze a little out) about an inch up and maybe 2 inches across, both sides of the gasket and don't worry about the 'V' area. That seals without the RTV. Make sure to let it cure at least 24 hours.

Look at divil's post. He went through the same deal and so did I.

I used a Mizumo kit for $24.99 on ebay. Works great. Both inner and outer gaskets. Good luck
Thank you for reading and responding to my post.

About the 'V' area. Your post is particularly helpful in that the Blau instructions stress the use of RTV in the 'V' area where the tech write up and if I'm not mistaken, my manual did not.

Forgive me for being dense, but I want to make sure that I'm not re re re-doing this PITA job again. Could I trouble you to elaborate on what you mean by "an inch up and maybe 2 inches across, both sides of the gasket"?

I'll also look for a Mizumo kit. It's good to know that I'm in good company with you and divil.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I tired it both ways with RTV in that 'V' area and it seemed like a pain to do it so I left it out of the final, successful, job. I guess a little there wouldn't hurt but the oil leaks out at the bottom back corner mostly.

My Bentley manual does not address the 'V' area so I left it dry the 3rd time I did this work. (don't ask)

As for the 1 inch up and 2 across lay the gasket down and view the widest part or length as "across" and the short or narrowest part as "up". You only need to go up from the corner about an inch or maybe 2 and the same across the bottom about 2 inches in from each corner. I tired gooping the whole thing and it just makes a mess.

Blau instructions are good to follow. Make sure you clean the top of the head very well with brake cleaner or something that evaporates rapidly and make sure that all of the old RTV and gasket material are scraped off.

Apply RTV to both sides of the gasket and lay it in place carfully. Put the center gasket in place and then very carfully lower the VCG down and snug it up with the nuts. They only need 7 lbs. of torque but you should see some of the RTV squeeze out where you applied it.

Leave it alone! for 24 hours! Don't even crank it a little. Just go have a beer and come back tommorrow.

Quick Reply: Blauparts Valve Cover Gasket Kit - Is it me or the kit?