A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Blue spots on vanilla leather

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue spots on vanilla leather

At the risk of inviting gross humor, I'd like to learn why both the driver's seat and the front passenger's seat of my 2001 A6 now have some smaller-than-a-dime blue spots on the vanilla leather. I recall that others have written of blue spots on their leather upholstery. As no one has eaten or drunk in the car, food can be ruled out. No pets, either. Any thoughts? Would this, as I hope, be covered under warranty?
Old 06-04-2001, 12:39 PM

Default So glad you asked! (not that I have an answer) - MORE

I am pleased you asked the question because I have this same problem. Two smaller than a dime blue spots on the seat cushion of the driver's side near the back of the cushion (but still clearly visible). The spots are about 1/2 inch apart. The first one appeared during my first weekend with the car in which I took a 500 mile round trip. Haven't noticed any on passanger side yet.

If you manage to get them removed, please let me know what you used. I love these seats but will drive myself crazy trying to keep them clean (OCD anyone?).

My theory is that it relates to the dye in my blue jeans that I wore for that first road trip. It was cold enough to have the seat warmers on 3 and perhaps I generated just enough sweat/moisture to stain the seat. Other than that, I can't imagine what it would be. I'm almost comforted to learn someone else has a similar issue and its not necessarily a defect in my seats.

I just hope it is easily removed.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: So glad you asked! (not that I have an answer) - MORE

I don't wear blue jeans or blue denim trousers. Perhaps dye was deposited by my Audi dealer's workers' blue jeans or by the blue jeans of the workers of the car wash that I patronize. Still a mystery.
Old 06-04-2001, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Same size spots, same place? Sean want to turn on the passenger seat warmer and see if they appear?

I think you will need to put some weight in that seat to make sure the heater activates.

I'll take a wild guess that the seat heaters have something that is bleeding through the leather over time.

You might try searching the forum using words like "blue" "seat" "leather" "garbage&hauling" "blue berry addiction"

Are there rear seat heaters in those cars. Do they get used? Enough to cause the problem?
Old 06-04-2001, 06:29 PM
ww4

Default Re: So glad you asked! (not that I have an answer) - MORE

I too have the blue dot problem,in what seems to be the same exact spot. About a quarter inch diameter in the last cushion panel closer to the center console,driver seat. This sounds like a design problem,with ink on part markings or like others suggest with seat heater parts. I have not had any wet blue jeans in this car. Has anyone contacted thier dealer about this problem?
Old 06-04-2001, 07:55 PM
S1

Default Same Problem, but none of the factors... (more)

same blue spots you guys are mentioning about. but i Don't (1) wear blue jeans or denin (2) never have it driven by valet or car wash dude(3) only 3000 miles / 6 months owning the car (4) it was 9/2000 production.

yes, may be heated seats? I live in canada and i bring mine up to 4 to start with and down to 1 or 2 usually. if it is happening at the same spots i am guessing something underneath is killing my dead animal skin.

Anyone wish to write a formal complaint to Audi of America for us?

Thank you guys for bringing this up. I was going to blame myself for doing something wrong.

If this is a workmanship problem I will not try to remove it with anything myself. I am getting a new seat from Audi. If they want me to pay a little to upgrade to a Recaro (hehe, in vanilla color, and may be blue inserts... haha!), I will do it.
Old 06-05-2001, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default According to Audi, the leather is not dyed using metallic salts.

Nor is the finish sealed ( laquered ) like most other leather. The salts effect the environment and the sealing coat often cracks ( see Japanese cars ) as well as maing the seats extra slippery.

I think you might have something where the reverse of the leather was marked for some reason and now some condtion is causing it to bleed through. Npt sure though.

Try and see if this helps. Get a soft cloth, cheap hair spray, and saddle soap. Spray hairspray on the cloth and while wet, rub the mark. Use lightly ! After rubbing with hairpray, clean with saddle soap to remove ny residue.
Old 06-05-2001, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with April, the underside of the leather is either marked (most likely) or...

there is some bluish goo within the seat mechanisms or, more likely, seat padding that is oozing through gradually as your *** heats it up. The only way to tell is to take the seat apart. I suspect that even if you can "clean" it off, it will recur since it is most likely coming from below.
Reminds me of carpeting I had in my previous house, that kept getting pink stains in it in one particular spot which kept getting worse. Seems they used crappy foam for the padding which was multi-coloured and when it got wet, it would bleed pink through the carpet above. I think your *** is making it bleed blue.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:55 AM
Elder Member

Default formal complaint?

Start with your dealer. If you get no satisfaction, talk to the AoA area/regional rep. I doubt they will give you too much guff. If it happens to 3 people on here it's happened to 300 people out there and AoA probably already knows about it.
Old 06-05-2001, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue blood ?;-)