A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

BNS Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BNS Navi?

Well I just picked up a 01 C5 with this system. It currently doesn't work. No CD, but I can't even get any kind of Nav like mumbojumbo on the screen. Like something saying "insert disc". So I am assuming something is wrong with it. Are there any common issues that I could maybe look at to get it working? Anyone know a torrent site I could get the Nav disc from?

If its not salvageable, can I remove it? If so, whats involved? Can I just remove the controls and put in the cup holder? Can I remove the antenna/pimple off the trunklid without it having a big hole? Sorry for all the questions. I searched and everything I found talked about RNSE/D.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 AM
ESN
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You have the old, CD based nav. RNS-E is the newer, DVD, based system.

You're old nav isn't worth any effort. Either upgrade to RNS-E or just go aftermarket, either in dash or just up on the windshield (cheapest alternative). Plenty of recent posts on all three options.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some options....

......I have spare parts for sale for the system, including a fullset of discs.

Aside from that, yes you could remove it.

yes, you can remove the controller and replace it with a cupholder.

Do not touch the antenna disc on the trunk, not a big hole, but a little one.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Probably the previous owner just took the discs. I would suggest...

...if you want to see if the system works, find a set of discs and test it out. However, if you want to spend some $$ so get a better interface (the DVD-based RNS-E), then look into that on navplus.us, but expect to pay north of $1000 for the unit, plus up to a couple hundred for the other items needed (harness, antenna, map disc, etc). The RNS-E is a nice system, great OEM integration.

I played around with the OEM system like you have, and it was a bit cumbersome, but it did work. However, nothing beats having the little LCD in the headunit with the map display!

Of course, if you are really in the need for the navigation, the RNS-E is nice, but another option for you is a portable device (like a Garmin). The advantage of the portable units over the RNS-E include:
-more frequent updates
-touchscreen controls
-can move from one car to another (great if you travel)
-lower cost

But the disadvantage of the portable units include:
-no OEM integration
-takes up visible window space
-easily stolen

In the end, up to you...it's YOUR money and YOUR car!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks or the info guys....

I don't really care about the nav. I just have this damn pimple on the trunklid that I was hopig to get rid of. So I guess the next question is the BNS pimple antenna compatible with the RNS-E? I have done some research into those before and love the E's options and integration. If I have to live with the C5 antenna, I would prefer to make it of use. Thanks again for the help guys.

=Jeff
Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yes, you can use that antenna with the RNS-E, but you need a LONG extension

<ul><li><a href="http://www.navparts.com/index.php?target=products&amp;product_id=29784">an tenna extension cable</a></li></ul>
Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If u push down the NAV button and nothing happens then you may..

have a faulty switch or nav unit in trunk. It should say insert disc. Check fuses just in case. I still use my factory nav unit for cluster display because my RNS system needed a TMC/Gateway and couldn't find one so it was easier to just leave that display controlled by trunk mount unit. I like having cluster instructions easier in traffic or city! Go to Ebay and find ur regional disc. I actually moved my nav switches under the armrest in the little cubby next to the hand brake and got a factory cup holder where the nav buttons were.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Also hold down the eject button 2 times in the nav unit in trunk

doesn't always eject on one push hold down for 5 -10 sec then again for 5 to 10 sec GOOD LUCK! If u can find a region CD for 20-30 bucks i think its worth it!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default one last.... with car running push button under wiper stalk which

scrolls through screens on center display. The screens are (1). Computer ie. Outside temp, avg speed, miles per gallon ect. (2). Nav screen (3). Blank screen(off) except for gear indicator.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: BNS Navi?

Wow, thanks CapeCod. I'm going to take my fat *** outside and try all this stuff you suggested. Maybe I'll get lucky and the thing actually works?

Quick Reply: BNS Navi?